Sunday, December 20, 2020

Meanderings

I've noticed ads for Curiosity Stream on Facebook for quite a while, but I decided today to find out what the Internet has to say about it, since the ad told me I could subscribe to it for a whole year for $12.  It's a holiday special.  For that price, and knowing Cliff likes documentaries, I signed up.  I believe he'll be using it quite a bit; as I type this, he is watching something about animals from the ice age, specifically saber-tooth tigers.  

The website claims to have over 2,000 documentaries, with more being added, so Cliff will be in documentary heaven.  What a nice Christmas present for him!  The programs we've peeked at so far are well done, many of them originally made by BBC.  Captions are necessary for Cliff, and I had a little trouble figuring out how to turn captions on. Apparently we'll have to set the captions for each individual show when we start to watch it, but I can live with that.  

Speaking of Christmas presents, I got an email today saying USPS will deliver my package (the ring made from a half-dollar) on Monday!  My readers assured me it would eventually get here, and they were right... or am I counting my chickens before they're hatched, since it isn't in my hands yet?

Gabe, Blue, and I went for our little walk in the pasture.  It's a bright, cloud-free day, and I needed to soak up some sunshine for awhile.  This morning I set a reminder on Alexa for 5:30 PM so I'd remember to look at the "great conjunction" of Jupiter and Saturn.  Weather.com tells me it may be partly cloudy by then.  I hope they don't cover up what I'm wanting to see.  

The Chiefs are playing at 3:30, so I'll be watching that game.  Cliff has always recorded all the football games to watch at his leisure, fast-forwarding through commercials.  He hates watching games live.  But since I got the football bug, I want to see the Chiefs live.  I like to hear the commentators talk about the teams and individual players.  I know so little about football, sometimes I learn something by listening to them.  Cliff likes to get rid of all that talk.  I've tried to get interested in teams other than the Chiefs, but I just don't care who wins or loses when it's not my team.  Today's game will still be recorded, so if Cliff wants to do something else, he can still watch it later.

I'm reading a book I stumbled onto that I really enjoy, although I'm not sure how others would like it.  We Were Rich and We Didn't Know It.  The author, Tom Phelan, tells about his growing up on a farm in Ireland.  There are several funny moments.  I enjoy it because some of the problems they had with pigs and horses and cows remind me of things that have happened to us on our "pretend" farm.

I'm about ready to go heat up some leftovers.  Have a great Sunday.

7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful & relaxing day your Sunday is, Donna. That's our kind of day!! I don't like documentaries but my husband and youngest child do. I'll have to check out Curiosity Stream! Thanks for sharing what you know about it. ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I like them sometimes, depending on the subject.

      Delete
  3. I would sign up for more things like that but I just hate subscription fees that renew automatically and need a system for keeping track of them and when to cancel them before they renew if I am not using them anymore. If I could do that, I would be more likely to sign up for things like this if only for a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I look at my credit card bill and see they've automatically charged me regular price for another year, I call them and tell them to take it off; they usually will. The regular price of Curiosity Stream is only $20 yearly, so if Cliff used it a lot, we'd probably keep it. Our biggest TV expense is Directv; we only keep it because of the DVR. To Cliff, it's worth not having to watch commercials to pay Directv $50 monthly. Especially in football season. I would have gotten rid of it a long time ago, because honestly, we watch Netflix more than anything these days, which is yet another bill. Amazon has come out with a DVR that records programs. If I knew it would work like it's supposed to, I'd use it instead of Directv. Much cheaper in the long run.

      Delete
  4. John loves the Curiosity stream and wants to get a subscription for his daughters' families. I'll have to warn him that the $12 is a special price. I think he knew that, but even the regular price isn't that expensive for a full year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my take on it too. If we use it, I'll probably keep it.

      Delete

I love comments!