Friday, December 25, 2020

Christmas Day

When I was growing up, my mother started cooking pies, cakes, and fudge before Thanksgiving and then never stopped cooking seasonal goodies until Christmas.  She made fudge, the old-fashioned kind that doesn't contain marshmallows; white divinity; pink divinity; and brown sugar fudge.  She didn't spare the nuts, either.  If a recipe said to add 1/2 cup of nuts, she'd use one cup.  When she'd made all that candy, she'd set a bowl of it in the living room and one the front room, where the switchboard sat in a corner; when someone stopped in to pay their phone bill, she'd offer them some candy.  I'd go from bowl to bowl and take out all the brown sugar fudge for myself, because it was my favorite.  I never cared much for chocolate fudge, but I would eat divinity.  I wouldn't have liked it without nuts though; that's what made it worth eating.  When I make brown sugar fudge, I make it for myself; nobody else is crazy about it.  I probably wouldn't like it so much if it weren't connected to my past.  

This morning Cliff surprised me with a Christmas gift:  a can of Topsy's popcorn.  Now, this is the third can of popcorn this year for us.  When my daughter or granddaughter Amber get us that gourmet popcorn, they get half cheese flavored and half caramel.  I eat nothing but the cheese flavor until it's gone, then I will eat some caramel.  Cliff likes both, but I think caramel is his favorite.  So Cliff got me a whole big can of cheese-flavored popcorn!  He says it's all mine.  

So, I ate several handfuls of cheese popcorn.  Then I licked the pan in which I made the brown sugar fudge, and there was a lot of it to lick!  Next I made hot hamburger dip for Cliff and the oldest grandson and whoever else might show up in the next couple of days; I can't stand to eat it because they like it made with the HOT Pace Picante sauce, and that's more heat that I want in my food.  Medium Pace would be perfect for me, but I had a taste anyhow.  After eating all that assorted garbage, I noticed my stomach was feeling a little off.  So I took a pill and stopped eating for awhile.  I believe that fixed the problem.  Trust me, I've learned to pay close attention when my stomach is telling me to quit.

I woke up with a song on my mind this morning, and since I don't have much to say, I'll just put this on here and call it a blog entry.  I hope you are having a great Christmas day. 

6 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas to you and Cliff. I prepared a ham and the fixing for my family later on today. I didn’t make any fudge this year. I sure do miss it. Oh well, we have pie for dessert. Sometime if you don’t care could I have the recipe for hamburger dip? That would be fun to have New Year’s Eve. ✨🎄✨ Gabby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas! My husband and I like penuche, which is a lot like brown sugar fudge, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry, merry Christmas. Thank you for the song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas! I'm not a huge fudge fan, but would be interested in that brown sugar fudge. Chocolate fudge, although good tasting, makes my teeth hurt. (never a good sign) I don't enjoy a lot of spice either. I don't like my mouth to burn. Enjoy the rest of your day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The best part of the holiday season is all the good food, and a lot of it brings back childhood memories. I liked your song, Donna, it put me in a pleasant and comfortable mood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not much of a fudge or divinity person and neither were my parents or wife so I can't think of the last time I've had either. I do remember my great grandmother used to have a bowl of both out whenever we would visit her over Christmas, along with peanut brittle.

    I have never heard the term hamburger dip. I was thinking of dipping an entire hamburger into something would be indulgent indeed. But after googling it, I guess I've had it many times before but always called it cheese dip. That I would love, even with the hot picante sauce.

    Thanks for the song! Beautiful as always.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!