Wednesday, December 09, 2020

I'm just rambling today

I'm still practicing my left-handed writing.  And now I'm also printing left-handed.  I didn't intend to do that, since I was never, ever taught how to print.  Of course I taught myself at some point, but that's easy after you've learned "cursive".  Who started calling it cursive anyway?  It was called longhand when I was going to school.  

I've found many helps along the way, like this site.  There are books, too; lots of them.  I bought one for five and six-year-olds.  And yes, it is very helpful.  I'm doing a page or two daily.




Why?  It's all because I was born left-handed like my dad, but was switched in school because the teacher asked my mom whether she wanted me to write left-handed or right-handed.  Mother told Mrs. Eighmy she'd prefer right-handed because it's an awkward world for lefties. 

I don't send Christmas cards any more, but I got one for my sister.  I'll write another note on the inside of her card, but I wrote a very sloppy note to put in the card so she could see my poor attempt at writing with my left hand.  Then I wrote some lines at the top of that note with my right hand that were sloppier than my left-hand writing!  Cliff's been telling me my left hand writing looks better than my right, but that may be because I take my time.  Below is my note:  I am embarrassed to show any of my hand-writing, but I may as well keep things real.
 

Maybe Maxine will get a laugh out of it, if nothing else.  I don't believe any silly thing I decide to do surprises people.  I march to the beat of a strange and unique drummer.

Blue, the cat, has been seen with a dead mole in his mouth a few times, so he's sure to be a good mouser.  I let him inside earlier; Gabe was scuffling with him roughly, as he always does, and evidently Blue decided he was tired of it:  I don't know whether he bit Gabe or scratched him, but in the middle of the confrontation, Gabe yipped and quickly put some distance between himself and the cat.  He needed that lesson, so I don't feel sorry for him.  He plays far too roughly, partly out of jealousy, no doubt.  He is a very spoiled dog.

We are having some of the best autumn weather I've seen.  October and November gave us some cold, cloudy weather, but we had more sunny days that cloudy, with pleasant temperatures much of the time.   

Next week it's time to get Gabe groomed; he's also due for his yearly appointment at the vet.  There goes any extra money we might have had, but he's worth it as long as we have it.  It's all because I can't tolerate, or keep up with, hair in the house.  The only non-shedders seem to be dogs that must go to a groomer.  I've had folks tell me there's nothing to grooming a dog, that I should do it myself:  Well, look at my handwriting!  You can imagine what sort of haircut I'd give a dog, if I can't even write legibly.  

We let my parents have a poodle of ours one time.  After a year or two of my Mom cutting Meliah's hair, and both parents feeding her anything she asked for, the classy little poodle we gave them turned into a fat, ugly mutt.  She lived to be 17 or 18 years old, but the last few years of her life she had a terrible odor and scratched a lot.  I'm fairly certain she had developed allergies that could have been corrected if they'd checked with a vet, but my mom hated to spend that much money on an animal.  Now that I think of it, Meliah may have been allergic to Avon:  Mother was an Avon lady for several years, and she used Avon soaps to bathe the dog.  When Meliah developed that stink, Mother would spray her with Avon cologne, which blended with the dog's stink and only made it worse.

Yesterday I put a different picture on my blog header.  I use Safari browser most of the time.  I had no problem putting the picture on, but I couldn't find how to change the font color on the picture.  I googled for help, I tried one thing and another; none of the directions worked for me.  Then it occurred to me to use the Chrome browser, since Google owns Chrome as well as the Blogger platform.  Bingo!  There were aspects needed to work with fonts that didn't show up on Safari.  I guess I should just go back to Google for all my browsing.  I've put it off because Google doesn't like some of my Safari passwords and I don't want to mess around change them.  

I believe Gabe, Blue, and I will go on a short jaunt across the pasture.  Have a great day, wherever you are!  

7 comments:

  1. I think your handwriting looks great! (compared to mine) I should use google, but am not used to it, so I avoid it. My younger daughter and her boyfriend have spent $1,900 recently on two of their three cats. And lots of time at the vet. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Margaret! That's a lot of money to spend on cats. The most I ever spent on Missy was a little over $100.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your rambling! Pet's can be expensive. My dog goes to the vet, but is short-haired, so no groomer. My cat died at 15, but got expensive at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't take cats to the vet. If they seem to be suffering, though, Cliff puts them out of their misery.

      Delete
  4. I use the Firefox browser. I like that it comes from a nonprofit organization (Mozilla) and feels like they do a better job with privacy.

    Gabe appears to be a schnauzer. Correct?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know a single person in my family who is left handed and that goes back all the way to my great grandparents. However, for some reason my youngest daughter was born left handed. As sort of an experiment I tried early on to get her to write with her right hand but I could see that it was just causing confusion so let nature take its course and she is firmly left handed. She still has a trouble when it comes to things like kicking, throwing, swinging a bat or a croquet mallet when everyone around her is doing so right dominant.

    They no longer teach cursive in the public school system here and I just don't understand it. Cursive is so pervasive in our society, I'm not sure how those kids will ever deal with it. Fortunately, we have the option of sending our kids to a private elementary school where they do teach cursive so they both learned how to do so.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!