Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Happy birthday to my husband

Sunday was our anniversary; today, Cliff turns 64, and for about three weeks, we'll be the same age. Then I'll be a year older than he is again.

There's a story behind the timing of our anniversary and its close proximity to Cliff's birthday.

Back in the old days (the 1960's), men needed parental consent to be married in this state if they were under twenty-one. For women, the age was eighteen. Two of Cliff's younger siblings had ill-fated, short-lived marriages around the time we first met, and I often heard his mom say, "I'm never again going to sign for any of my kids to get married."

So, when we decided to get married, I was of age. Cliff wasn't, quite. We told his parents we were going to get married in a couple of weeks, and his mom asked, "What are you guys waiting for?"

"We're waiting for Cliff to turn twenty-one," I told her. "You said you weren't signing for any more of your kids."

"Oh, I'll sign for you-uns," she responded.

So Melva signed for us to get our marriage license and we went to get our blood tests (blood tests were required in the olden days). And we became man and wife two days before Cliff turned twenty-one.

I've always detested the hype and expense involved in big weddings, so we tracked down a nearby preacher the day we were to get married, and had him do the deed; he asked us, "What sort of ceremony do you want?"

"The shortest one you got," Cliff told him.

His mom, and his brother's wife, Faye, were our witnesses.

And we lived happily ever after.

Quite a contrast to Pioneer Woman's black heels and tractor wheels, wouldn't you say?

My mother, having been totally left out of the wedding plans (what plans?), baked a cake a few weeks later; you can read about that HERE, and see a picture of us as newlyweds. Probably in the same clothes we wore when we got married.

9 comments:

  1. I guess I was born in the sixties so maybe you should go easy referring to that time as "olden days". Happy Birthday to Cliff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to Cliff! I hope he has a wonderful day !!! Now I'm thinking you are both younger than me. It seems I'm finding this to be true in alot of case...being the oldest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, I told ya.....Hubby here just turned 64 last week. now we are the same age til July when I will turn 65. He always says he married an older woman. We just past our anniversary on May 27th. 42 years......hmmmmmmm, will WE make it to 50?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah, Happy Birthday to Cliff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lindie2:46 PM

    I had an unfortunate 1st wedding in a judges office and my 2nd was in a tiny church with just my family. One of my daughter's had a big wedding and the 2nd eloped to Vegas (with 13 of us joining her!)and had a big picnic reception a few weeks later at their house. (She is 5 weeks older than her husband)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to Cliff. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAPPY BIRTHDAY CLIFF!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Cliff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. HAPPY BIRTHDAY CLIFF AND HAPPY BELATED ANNIVERSARY TO YOU BOTH!!!WHEN DANNY HAD A BIRTHDAY, WE WOULD BE THE SAME AGE FOR 4 WEEKS AND 5 DAYS, UBTIKL I TURNED A YEAR OLDER! HE TOO WAS TOO YOUNG TO BE MARRIED IN GA...SO WE RODE ALL THE WAY TO SOUTH CAROLINA! HOPE YALL HAVE MANY MANY MORE YEARS TOGETHER!
    LOVE ,
    CARLENE

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!