Thursday, October 09, 2008

Walking down memory lane

I haven't accomplished much today. This happens every time I start going through old boxes of pictures and keepsakes. I find pictures I had totally forgotten about; I read letters written to my mother before I was born, and even some of her school papers from the 1920's, much of it nibbled on by mice until you can't make anything out. I make myself throw lots of things away because you just can't keep everything.

Cliff and our son Jimmy (now aged 41) mowing the yard.
Jim, standing in the baby crib that's behind me now, as I type this. The baby crib I can't make myself get rid of.
That's a very young me. A farmer used to give me his orphan lambs to raise. I had a nice little flock started... three females and a male... until the neighbor's German Shepherds killed them one night.
Yes, I did use a wringer washing machine back in the early 1970's. My daughter has some bubbles on her head in this picture, put there by her brother. Pedal harder, Jimmy!
That's Cliff's youngest sister (the one we ride motorcycles with these days) and my son on our first milk cow, Suzie. Nothing shook Suzie up. Nothing.

Has it really been so long ago? How did I get this old? I still remember what it felt like to hold my children in my arms.

I need to stay out of those boxes.

8 comments:

  1. Hey! I remember that couch!!!LOL
    And...I remember getting my hand stuck in the wringer washer in the late 60's /early 70's. It was in the basement that had walls made of large stones, and I felt very brave to go down there.
    loopymama

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got my hand wrung when I was four! But it was at the laundromat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was hard enough just going through my old journal today to get the pictures on a disk.... I can imagine the day you had. such sweet pictures you found... I remember my wringer washer too... it was fun to wash in those days I thought
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:44 PM

    WOW.....I know what you mean about old pictures. I too, have been going through boxes of my mom's old pictures and scanning them to an external hard drive for safe keeping. Some I have put on DVDs for other members of the family. Oh sweet memories of by gone days for sure. Thanks for sharing MO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:43 PM

    Oh no Donna...don't stay out of those boxes...this is precious...and I too remember my first wringer washer and have kicked myself for ever getting rid of it...but oh the memories are so nice...God Bless...hugs...Ora

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, I *loved* reminiscing with you. Great photos, Donna.
    Blessings,
    ~Toni~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so enjoyed these pictures and comments Mo. I think we raised our kids in the same time era. I looked at that crib and remember Kelly had a crib that looked like that. Nowadays they would consider them unsafe. It's amazing what our kids survived, isn't it? Have you ever heard the song by K.T.Olsin called "Old Pictures"......makes me cry everytime. Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful memories (except about the German Shepherd) I love to look at old photos. I need to start scanning.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!