Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Feeding the birds

Some of my faithful readers know that I had my first hummingbird-feeder experience this summer. Those tiny little creatures provided some of the best entertainment I've had in years, and I now wonder why I didn't start watching them sooner in my life.

My hummingbirds stopped showing up at the feeder about a month ago; I don't know why, since my cousin, Betty, said she was still seeing them a couple of weeks ago. I have an idea I had fewer birds than she did, out here in the pasture. So maybe my small flock just decided to migrate sooner.

Anyway, I've missed them. So I decided that, for the first time in my life, I'd get some feeders for all the birds that winter around here, and watch them.

Do you know how expensive wild bird seed is? Good grief! The little feeders aren't cheap, either. I refuse to pay $30 for a plastic feeder; the cheapest ones I found were still over $10, and I reluctantly paid the price.

I first thought I'd wasted my money, because the feeders just sat there, not visited by a single bird that I ever saw. Thank goodness Cliff happened upon an article in the Kansas City Star that said indeed, the birds know the feeders are there; it's just that there's still plenty to eat everywhere else.

I did notice lots of birds perching on the fence in the back yard, near the feeder. Finally about a week ago, I looked out to see finches hanging all over the thing. Exciting? You bet!

It seems they are checking out the feeders in the afternoon before the sun starts to set, because that's when I see them there.

You can see I do not plan my entries ahead; otherwise I'd have taken these pictures in daylight.

Nope, I'm not one for planning ahead. I ventured out through the frosty grass and took pictures at six A.M.

6 comments:

  1. I love birds. However my dog loves to chase them off. We keep a bird bath in the front yard (where the dog can't get to it). I love watching birds play in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My next door sister feeds the birds and they are there all year round. Our hummers left about the middle of September. We have a couple of different kinds of finches and get some morning doves and cardinals. At different times there are others too, but I think they are just stopping over on their way to somewhere else. They are facinating to watch. We have a bird bath in the back too and that is another fun thing to watch.
    'On Ya' -ma

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love feeding the birds. It is an addicting hobby. A lot of times you can find birdfeeders at the dollar store for a couple dollars.

    Enjoy your fall and winter birding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love feeding & watching the birds. It can be an expensive hobby. I love your first feeder!!!! Where did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hummingbirds are suppose to leave here in October but they always leave before then. Yes bird seed prices are expensive. Sometime I ration them a little.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been feeding the birds at my property for sixteen years...if i run out of feed the chickadees will sit at the feeder and "fuss" at me when i'm on the patio. I have a shepards hook in the back yard and one in the front. I've learned some lessons along the way....like "don't use thistle seed" up here it will plant itself and take over!
    loopymama of michigan

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!