Saturday, October 18, 2008

The crazy things I save....

June Carter Cash wrote a book years ago called "Among My Klediments". In the book, she said, ""Klediment is mountain language for anything that is precious and has earned a right to be a part of things close to you."

Well, that sounds nicer than "junk", so there you go. Rummaging through old pictures and keepsakes the other day, I found a yellowed page out of a small-town newspaper from 1977. They had done an article about the butcher shop where Cliff worked for some twenty years. That butcher shop closed a long time ago.

This may be of no interest to anyone else, but I think our son will enjoy these pictures; he worked at that butcher shop part-time as a kid. It was his first job.

That's Cliff, caught in the act of butchering. If you click on the picture, it will be big enough to read the print.

Here are the pens where the cattle and hogs were unloaded.

And what did I do with my cast iron skillet yesterday?

I glazed some carrots!

Along with green beans with kielbasa, you have a meal chock-full of veggies, vitamins, and flavonoids. My first Internet friend, Lona, told me about cooking green beans this way (you can cook potatoes in there too, if you like). I buy the turkey kielbasa, so it's low-fat, and a much better alternative than ham, ham hock, or bacon. Thanks for the idea, Lona. This is one of Cliff's favorite dishes.

9 comments:

  1. Crazy but interesting, nonetheless.

    A visit to my Grandma's during Hari Raya revealed two old photoss... one of her and my Mom when Mom was just 17 years old. A photo I had not seen before. Mom looked like a popular black and while movie actress. She was a looker in her younger days.

    A family photo of Dad and Mom with our eldest brother was interesting. Dad was a good looking man in his younger days.

    Keeping stuff for the younger generation to see is very important. That was an important find for me personally.

    Similarly, your son will definitely appreciate the thought and gesture.

    Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting post! Your green beans & kielbasa looks good. We like the kielbasa cooked with sauerkraut too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! :) Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. That kielbasa and green bean dish has my mouth watering. I'll have to try it. I think I'll do it with the potatoes and add a little onion too. Yum! It's nice to have an alternative way to eat kielbasa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those "cast iron skillet" pictures are driving me crazy!

    With the Winter months coming along now, got'a get 'em out and cook up some cornbread.

    I can feel my Cholesterol rising but some things just can't be overlooked!

    I agree, food is totally different in those skillets!

    yummm......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:01 PM

    I inherited my mom's cast iron skillet plus I have one of my own these past 45 years! Her other one cracked. She always cooked kielbasa with saurkraut with caraway seeds and cooked parmesan potatoes separately. miss them and miss her! But I like your idea now and will try it. Better for me and my iffy stomach!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:02 PM

    also used the Country Butcher Shop for years. Knew Mrs Dent somewhat. Went to the dinner playhouse with her years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:20 PM

    Oh for sure that green bean plus will be one of our meals this next week...got my list for the grocery store already LOL..and those carrots..hubby and I are the only ones who will eat them...but oh they are so good...and some cornbread muffins to go along...well I am slobbering all over my keyboard LOLOLOL...and keep all that stuff...doesn't take up much room...and like you say the kids will enjoy...and grands also...later down the road...they will...memories are made of this stuff!!!! hugs and God Bless...Ora in KY

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your food looks so yummy!! You're making me hungry over here.

    Enjoyed the old pictures! Cliff was SO YOUNG in that picture. Were you two already married?
    Have a good day on your ride.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!