Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Rainy Days

I love rainy days. I remember walking and playing in the rain as a child, not caring how soaking wet I got.

One summer our church was having a summer "tent meeting" during a time of severe drought, probably in 1954; most folks would call it a revival, but my church never used that word: we had "Gospel meetings". This meeting wasn't really in a tent, though. There was simply a wall of canvas surrounding the folding chairs and pulpit, with no roof overhead.
The preacher was delivering his message when distant thunder grew closer and raindrops started falling on our heads. We were dismissed, and by the time my parents and I drove the few blocks to our home, it was pouring. I will never forget seeing my mom sitting at the switchboard in the living room, singing "Showers of Blessing" as the downpour continued. I don't know as I ever saw her any happier; after all, we depended on our garden to supply a large share of our groceries. The garden was saved.

As my regular readers know, we recently bought a hot tub. I've found the hot tub feels best when it's chilly outside. It's also very pleasant to feel a fine mist of mild sprinkles on one's face, if it's barely raining.

What I discovered this morning is this: In a downpour, the hot tub is not fun at all. Rain was streaming down my face so hard, I had to close my eyes, and I retreated back into the house after about five minutes.


Because we've been dry lately, I'm happy, even excited, to have the rain. So I went to check the rain gauge, which is located some distance away, while rain was still coming down. Umbrella in one hand, flashlight in the other, barefoot as usual, I made my way outside.

An inch had already fallen, and it was still raining! In my excitement, I forgot to watch where I was stepping, and ended up in our freshly-plowed garden plot, sinking about half-way to my knees. Not the best way to start a day, but hey... we're getting rain!

And I love rain.

This is a picture of a tent meeting my mom attended as a young girl (she wrote "me" with an arrow to herself). All the older girls and women wore hats to church back then. Don't you love old pictures?

6 comments:

  1. Lots of people like you need rain. We've been blessed with enough that everything is ok here. I'm glad you didn't hurt yourself falling off in the mud.
    I don't think I'd like to be out in that tub in a pouring rain either. 'On Ya' - ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:08 AM

    Sure hope some of that rain finds its way into Kentucky...the whole state is in a bad way...and like you I so enjoy a good rain..in or out of it LOL..hugs from Ora in KY

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are supposed to get that rain tonight. I can't wait. I'm hoping it is the last day in the 80's too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been trying to think of all the words to Showers Of Blessings. Haven't sung that song in years. I miss the old songs, there's so much of the P & W songs now and I miss the old ones.
    Rain is headed our way tomorrow. That will be the end of our pretty leaves but we need it so I can't complain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, we got quite a bit of rain today, too. It's great.

    I love the rain. I grew up in N. CA where it rains most of the year, it would seem. I miss it.

    Oops on the misstep. But you had the rain to wash you off. Ha!

    Yum, the catfish looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love old photos, and that one is great! What a nice memory. I can imagine enjoying the hot tub in cool weather or a chilly mist, but NOT in a downpour. And I'll just have to giggle a bit at your stepping into the plowed garden -- I've done that before in a rain and I know that feeling you have when your legs sinks to the knee.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!