Friday, October 17, 2008

cow-breeding problems

I took this picture Sunday of Secret and Meatloaf. He's standing behind her like that because she was in heat. You long-time readers from the old AOL site thought she was bred, right?

Meatloaf is a steer, which means he can't breed her. However, he's good at detecting when she's in heat, and that lets us know when to call the artificial breeder.

Well, the man has been here three times without success. Twice, the timing wasn't really perfect because the guy works a regular job, and we did the best we could.

Another thing that has delayed this whole process is that Meatloaf was a fugitive for a couple of months, and although Secret let us know she was in heat by her bellowing and fence-running, it's really hard to get the timing right without another bovine here to let us know when she's in "
standing heat". So we didn't even attempt to have her bred during that time.

Last time, though, she was ready to be serviced on a Sunday, three weeks ago. The breeder-man doesn't work at his job on Sundays so he could come at the proper time, and the timing was what I'd consider perfect. I told him that if she didn't settle (see #29 HERE for the meaning of "settle"), we'd do something different. Like sell her, make hamburger of her (yes folks, I could eat her with no problem, but I'd rather not), or try to find a suitable bull, because there's a better success rate with a real, live bull. As an old dairyman once told me, "Of course bulls have better success; they have all the time and semen in the world."

I apologize to all the city slickers for these boring details, but I've had readers ask what happened to Secret, wondering how she's getting along.

Imagine our disappointment when she let us know she wasn't bred this past Sunday.

There's no Jersey bull available. There is one Angus bull to which we have access, but he's huge, and I'm afraid that even if Secret could hold his weight up for breeding, the resulting calf might be too large for her to safely deliver.


We have a friend with a small herd of Scottish Highland cattle. (Click on the picture to get a closer look.)

They have shaggy coats and long horns. They are even smaller than Jerseys, I believe.

Next weekend we'll take Secret there for a two-week visit; this way she can get acquainted with her new boy friend ahead of time. Heaven forbid she should cheapen herself by having a one-night stand.

If she indeed does get pregnant, at least the resulting calf should be very interesting to look at.

Cows come in heat every three weeks, so it will be awhile before we know the results. I'll keep you informed when we know something.

16 comments:

  1. I have never seen Scottish Highland cattle before. The one in the pic is really nice looking. I can imagine how an entire herd would look

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can hardly wait to see the calf.... what a beauty it will be
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:00 PM

    Donna...I will take your word as truth thru it all LOL...I know what you are talking about..and referring to...but to be a part of it all....no way!!!!! Meatloaf is so cute...and Secret has sure grown up and a little bit out...they make a pair!!! hugs to ya and God Bless....Ora

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Scottish Highland cattle! They are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how exciting to breed her to a Scottish Highland!! When I thought I was going to be moving to Missouri to 10 acres about 10 years ago, Highlands were on the top of my cattle list because of their reputed hardiness. Won't it be neat seeing what sort of lovely baby would result from such a pairing? Here's hoping! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you have another little "Secret" before long....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Secret's out. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Mosie....PLEASE DON'T EAT THAT SWEET BABY OF YOURS...OH NO NO NO...LOOK AT THOSE BEAUTIFUL EYES...
    LOVE,
    CARLENE

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my first visit to your journal. I know I've heard of yours at AOL, but I never looked it up. I enjoyed this so much. It was like a glimpse into my childhood when I visited with relatives that had farms. Thank you for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for keeping us up-to-date about Secret. I hope this "visit" works. I think it's great that you wouldn't have a problem eating her if you had to -- but we would! lol Here's hoping Secret's two-week stay is a success.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope it works! The calf should be really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dont go giving up on her yet. She is still young. :) Dont eat her! Give a gal a chance! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you end up with a Highland, I will be wickedly jealous! I just love them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, this is interesting all the way around and I look forward to reading about Secret's pending escapade!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope Secret does find a boyfriend so we can see her new calf. You're so right...that calf will sure be interesting to look at! LOL!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  16. Crystal did not bred either. darn it

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!