Monday, October 06, 2008

A plow saga, part 2

Having ascertained that we did, indeed, have $300 in our checking account that wasn't earmarked for anything, I was ready for a plow. I didn't want to wait for the trader to come up with one.

"You know," I told Cliff, "There have to be lots of people with plows they haven't used in years, sitting in fence-rows or barns; what if we put a "want to buy" ad in the farm and garden section of Craigslist?" (Craigslist is the best thing since sliced bread!)

So Cliff told me exactly what kind of plow he wanted, and I made the ad: "Want to buy plow: I need a category two, three-point hitch, three-bottom plow."

I added Cliff's cell number and our home phone number, and placed the ad.

Now, after seeing what sort of plow Cliff wanted, I was perplexed. That's too big an implement for our little thirty-five horsepower John Deere.

"Which tractor are you buying this for?"

"The Mahindra."

The Mahindra

"What? You're buying a plow for a tractor that doesn't even belong to us?" (We're babysitting "Ma" for our favorite brother-in-law, who moved to St. Louis.) "Why can't you use Big Ugly? Or buy a little plow for the John Deere? Or a medium-sized plow for the Farmall H, or that unpainted John Deere 520?"

"Don't you worry," he said. "I can always get my money back out of any plow I buy, if Pat wants his Mahindra back."

He went on to explain that he'd never want to plow with the little John Deere because it's a Hydro-power model. (Don't ask me what that means; I have no clue.)

Hmph!! All these tractors we own, and he buys a plow for that tractor.

"Big Ugly", an old David Brown tractor.

The 520 John Deere and the Farmall H

Within two hours of placing the ad on Craigslist, I received an email from a fellow who had such a plow. How much did we expect to pay, he wondered.

I told him to call Cliff.

To be continued....

6 comments:

  1. Keep us posted that was fun to read! Hugs, Grams

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is fun to read; I'm such a city girl I wouldn't even know plows come in different sizes depending on what you use to plow them with; however, I too do love Craigslist!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:21 PM

    Well, I know why he wants to use Ma above the others. Oh, and a three bottom plow for a garden plot! LMAO. Me thinks there will be a bit more plowing going on than just the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no clue as to which tractor or plow you have named, but it sounded interesting nonetheless.

    All the best! Looking forward to part 3.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, aweseome. Hope it works out. I'm not on Craigslist much. I need to check it out.
    Sonya

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:10 PM

    I think your tractor(s) sexy !!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!