Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Guilt-free pumpkin pie

I once had a healthy recipe for a crustless pumpkin pie, but I misplaced it somehow. I've found, though, that I don't need a recipe. I take the recipe I normally use for pumpkin pie filling (the one on the label from Libby's pumpkin) and alter it according to my needs. Try it for yourself:

Spray a pie plate with Pam. If you need to limit sugar, replace the sugar in your recipe with Splenda. If you're limiting cholesterol, use three egg whites rather than two whole eggs. Use fat-free evaporated milk instead of regular.

Add 1/2 cup Bisquick to all these ingredients, mix thoroughly, pour in the pie pan and bake for about 45 minutes at 375 degrees. You'll have a dessert that's actually good for you! Pumpkin is loaded with all sorts of vitamins.

Eliminating the crust takes away a lot of the fat that's in the traditional pie.

I figured with Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up, someone might want to try this.

9 comments:

  1. I'm diabetic so this sounds like a great recipe to me. I have a recipe for coconut pie and custard pie that makes its own crust but I haven't tried making it with Splenda yet. I may try both the custard and the pumpkin for the holidays. I won't tell anyone they're healthier sugar free versions and we'll see if they notice the difference.

    Thanks for sharing, Donna.

    Hope you're having a great day! :o)

    Love and hugs,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great!! Thanks for sharing it! I think I will copy and paste this for Thanksgiving and Christmas! Hugs Grams

    ReplyDelete
  3. yep ....libbys is the one I use too,
    Thanks for the additions, mumsy is now a diabetic.
    loopymama

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the bisquick pies . There are several like that with no crust to prepare. I like their biscuits too. 'On Ya' - ma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna, I am tagging you to do 6 Quirks. If you aren't comfortable doing this, forget it. The rules are on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know why, but I don't like Pumpkin pie. No one in my family ever made it that I remember so I guess I never learned to appreciate the taste.
    Sonya

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats a great idea and the filling is the part I like best anyway... thanks for sharing
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd like to try that. Just because it sounds good and interesting!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!