Tuesday, October 07, 2008

A plow saga, part 3

On Saturday, the guy from Craigslist connected with Cliff; indeed, the plow he had was the type we needed; it was in his mom's barn, where it had been since her tractor sold at auction a few years back. Cliff asked his price, and he replied, "Oh, it ought to be worth $200."

A bargain! That's a hundred dollars less than we'd planned to pay.

He lived in an area we'd just driven through on the motorcycle the previous day, about sixty miles away, not far from Harrisonville where I'd bought...

this item for $8, sixty percent off the original price. But I digress.

We arranged to meet him at his house near Garden City.

Then we followed him to his mom's place, about ten more miles from there.

He and Cliff discussed the history of the plow.

A neighbor drove his tractor over and pulled the plow out of the barn...


and lifted it onto our trailer.


With our bargain plow loaded, the guy who sold it to us suggested we stop by a place not far from there that sells meat. We've learned to follow up on things like that because local folks know what's worth visiting.

Lunch? I thought it was only a butcher shop. Unfortunately, they open at 11 A.M., and we were a half-hour early. But it planted a seed in both our minds and made us realize we were getting hungry.

So when we went through Blue Springs, we stopped at Golden Corral because, you know, they have the best rolls and mashed potatoes and pot roast EVER! (We try to avoid buffets because we always eat too much... but that silly seed had been planted and it was out of our hands.)

So the plow cost us $200; counting the tip, Golden Corral cost $30 (we had a fantastic waiter); gasoline was at least $30. Oh, and we stopped by Colonial Nursery for another clump of Pampas Grass to go across the driveway from the one we picked up last week. That's $13 more.

Hmmm, I don't think we saved much money. But we had fun. And I got three blog entries out of the deal.

The end.

12 comments:

  1. Great deal! All the things you got (and ate) were well worth it. I LOVE Golden Corral! We don't have them here in Maine but when I go to Florida to visit my parents I go there several times. I always eat too much, the desserts are to die for and I know what you mean about the pot roast and mashed potatoes! Now I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I want to make pot roast and mashed potatoes. Good deal on the plow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:06 AM

    Since I had my stomach surgery, buffets don't work for me. Kind of miss them but not the pounds! You have mentioned Craigslist so often that I tried to use it when I went looking for a room mate. All I got were scammers with ways to cheat me! I tried using them to sell an antique bookcase too and got more local scammers! Did you know that you should never accept a money order or even a cashiers check from a stranger? They are easy to forge and the bank holds you responsible! Cash only!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:32 AM

    Ithink I finally figured out how to leave a message, Where's Rachael's Blog? Sounds like a wonderful day out. The plow was a bargain, you made a memory. Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  5. I anxiously await spring to see how your garden grows. I love Craigslist too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You plowed through the saga triumphantly. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed the whole saga and am glad Cliff got his plow. I like your little painted slate with the tractor on it too ! How perfect.
    And you got lunch for a reward !
    'On Ya' - ma

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love your stories Donna! You can make buying a plow so interesting to me. It's something I would never do or have a reason to do and I love that you take pics. I'm glad you got what you wanted and it was such a deal. That's a nice tractor you're "babysitting." And I really like your new welcome sign. Very cute!
    Have a good day.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. loved the entry.... what a nice day you had! did you ever buy any meat Im wondering?
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  10. So did you ever go back to the meat store? I think you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. so all in all, a great adventure!! glad it went well and you saved some money on it to be able to use for a good meal out :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  12. We love going to Golden Coral here too!! The kids just love the ice cream section and I love how they sometimes put mandarin oranges out on the fruit buffet by the hundreds. Not to mention the sweet potatoes, steak, mushrooms, salad, desserts, veggies....YUMMY! Hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!