Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Is the high price of groceries getting you down?

Over there on the left on my "link list" are some websites that will help you feed yourself and your family tasty, healthy meals for less money.

Hillbilly Housewife is amazing. I notice she hasn't updated her emergency $45 menu since 2006, so it's pretty out-dated. I imagine it would be more like $60 now, at least. If you had a totally empty cupboard and four mouths to feed, this would start you out in style. (Note: that emergency menu doesn't allow for booze or cigarettes; if you can afford those, you aren't broke enough yet to need Hillbilly Housewife's emergency menu.)

Five Dollar Dinners is a site I just discovered this week, and there are recipes there that I can't wait to try out. From that site I went on to find Mommy Snacks, another money-saving website that I have to look into today, with links to coupons and good buys. You'll find links on all these websites that will save you more money!

Perhaps not all of you have heard of Angel Food Ministries, so I'll include it here also. For $30 you get a lot of food, including quite a bit of meat. Cliff and I don't avail ourselves of it because it has some pretty salty, highly-processed foods. If it weren't for his heart issues and our ages, though, you can bet your sweet bippy I'd take advantage. There are no income requirements; it's for everybody. If you're a hungry atheist, never fear! Although the food is delivered to and picked up at churches, nobody will try to convert you... as far as I know. If someone says "God bless you" as they hand you the grub, you can always turn a deaf ear. OK?

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the suggestions. We have cut back some on our grocery spending. We try not to go at all sometimes until we need an item - then boom - we buy everything we are out of and then some. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. My MIL goes to a lot of food banks having grown up during the depression. She graciously shared with us many nice items to have on stock. What a blessing it was. My pantry is so full now I can't even think of going to the store for anything other than meats and milk, fresh veggies and fruits, etc. It's nice to have the added help in these times. She also goes to garage sales and bargain shopping and finds great things for the kids to wear. I don't know what I would do without her.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the links; I'm trying to take the attitude that I'm glad I have the money to be able to go and buy food; so many are hurting so bad financially here that I'm just grateful to be able to go and buy pretty much what I want with just a little modifications here and there (thank you Lord). After I buy a few treats for Koda, I can't justify walking out of the store without buying some food or making a donation to the local food bank. just a sad time all around for lots of people

    take care of yourself

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Groceries are outrageous!!! As well as other things too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just founf you from $5 Dinner Mom and had to say hi! I am also in the KC area. :)

    Gotta check your site out now.

    ~Liz
    www.AGiveawayADay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. $5 dinner Mom has some great recipes and ideas! Thanks for the links. I am so bad at grocery shopping, I have no menu plan or use a list when I go to the store :O I need to fix that!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!