Thursday, January 10, 2008

The doldrums

I don't normally post the same thing on this blog as I do on my AOL journal, but I got such a response to this post that I'm breaking my rule this one time:

I've noticed, as I travel around the Internet reading blogs and journals, that there are a lot of folks down-in-the-dumps lately, and I've been trying to pin down the causes.

I know this is always a ho-hum time of year: The excitement of Christmas is over; it's a long time until spring. Weather tends to keep us all housebound. So perhaps we can lay much of the blame on Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Then there are the extra expenses of the season. Many people overspent at Christmas (not me and Cliff, thank God) and are trying to make up for that now.

Heating costs are skyrocketing. If yours haven't, try heating your home with propane.

In Missouri, we have personal taxes due January 1. These have to be paid in order to license our vehicles later on. If we're late in paying, interest is added on each month.

Here in my county, real estate taxes have been re-evaluated; ours rose by about 66% this year. This has always been rolled in with our house payment, so it's spread out over the year; however, our amount in escrow was $380
shy of the amount that came out of the bank as a result of the change; I have to make that up by March 10.

Young married folks, and senior citizens on a fixed income, are struggling to make ends meet, with gasoline and grocery prices increasing steadily. I read an article online that states food costs have risen 4%; I don't know where they got that estimate, but my grocery costs have risen at least 10% in the past year or so.

Cliff and I, thankfully, took steps this past year to pay off most debts. We figured that would give us plenty of funds for traveling on the motorcycle. Now I find much of that money going for necessities.

I'm thankful that, so far, we're making ends meet. But I can't help wondering about, and praying for, all those who are caught in this squeeze.

I don't care what the politicians call it; I say we're in a recession. It's obviously going to get worse before it gets better. I'm wondering if those of us born after the 1930's are going to get a taste of what a genuine Depression is like.

I think that's why so many bloggers are in a state of the doldrums right now.

God help us.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:10 AM

    I think you are right. When i get milk i'm buying grocerys and i really don't pay attention to the price but i brought a gallon of milk by it's self the other day and it was $6.00. I thought that was just insane. I was thinking to myself they say there is always shortages on everything and thats why the prices are so high. Is there a milk cow shortage? Are they not puttting out as much for some reason and we have to pay more. It does make it tough for the little person thats for sure and it will only get alot worse.
    It is depressing.
    take care :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Milk in Oklahoma is $4.29 a gallon! a freakin' gallon!!!!!

    Now I see why you bought Secret ;)

    I agree w/ you I think we are in a recession.

    Luckily, like you and Cliff, my husband and I do not have much debt just a mortgage and car payment, 1 credit card balance under $200. We refuse to get into debt ever again.

    I have friends who are barely getting by with the high cost of gas and taxes. Regardless, they work and seem to never get ahead. It is sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is tough. Like you I think we are headed for a depression even though the experts say no. They are not living life . Milk is $3.98 for generic brand here. My apple juice just went up by 25 %. I understand milk going up because it does take hay and grain to feed them and there is a shortage of that. Our taxes are due the week of Christmas and in January for tags and the trailer is in April along with the IRS.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!