Tuesday, January 22, 2008

poor calves


When Cliff and I went for our walk in the pasture this morning, Secret, my Jersey heifer, ran alongside us on the other side of the electric fence. This isn't normal behavior, but we shrugged and decided it was cute.

"Look, she wants to take a walk with us." Of course her little buddy, Meatloaf, was right behind her; only he wasn't running as fast.

We went on with our walk, and when we came back beside their fenced-off pasture, here came Secret again, running, and proceeded following us again.

"That's really strange," Cliff said.

The wheels started turning in my mind, and I asked, "They have water, don't they?"

The calves drink from an in-ground waterer that doesn't freeze, but we check it once in awhile, just in case.

"You know," Cliff said, "When I had to go through their pen with a big bale of hay, I shut them behind the barn so they wouldn't get out; I hope I opened that gate when I was done."

It turns out he had not opened the gate, and the calves had been shut away from water for over forty-eight hours. You should have seen them run to the waterer when they were turned loose; they were still drinking as we headed to the house!

We both feel horrible about it, of course. I'm just glad Secret told us, in the only way she knew how, what she needed. She finally communicated her need to us long enough that we understood. If she hadn't, both calves could have died from thirst, right in the middle of winter. Cliff had been tossing their alfalfa hay across the fence to them, having no idea they were without access to water.

Cliff said, "Well, obviously she knows who to ask for help, when she's in distress."

That's better than some humans I know.

5 comments:

  1. Ahhh, poor babies! Glad she got your attention and you went in and checked.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! I'm glad they seem okay. Better watch that they don't founder after all that dry hay with no water. They may have eaten some snow to help keep them hydrated enough, though.

    Secret is gorgeous! Are you going to breed her and milk her?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog by way of Diane's blog. Those calves are so pretty! I'm glad they got some water and were wise enough to let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Thanks for your visit! I have been having trouble with my arm and shoulder and have a hard time typing,because it hurts so bad!

    I wanted you to know, Yes, I know Pastor Perkin and Faith and Judy is one of my friends.... Her daughter Paula and my daughter Nancy worked at the workshop together for years! Nancy has lupus and is ill and not working there any more....
    Judy and Paula were at our home over Christmas. Nancy and Paula always exchange gifts!! It a small world!!
    I wrote a small note on your e-mail but I don't know if I did it right... Blessings, Grams

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good thing we have smart animals!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!