Sunday, January 13, 2008

Thankful

This morning during my quiet time, I was thinking of all the things for which I am thankful. I thought of the horseback ride yesterday which, although it was cut short by a north wind numbing my toes, was still a pleasure. But then, spending time with my Blue is always a pleasure.

I'm glad God is patient with me and my mental meanderings when I give thanks. I told Him I don't know what I ever did to deserve a horse like Blue, the crown jewel of all the pets
I've ever owned (although he's more "friend" than pet).

I considered Cliff's oldest sister, who called yesterday and told us her husband is in love with another woman and wants a divorce. Then my thoughts went to Cliff's cousin, who became a widow less than a week ago, her husband taken by a sudden and massive stroke. I prayed for both the sister and the cousin to have peace and wisdom; and somewhere in there I realized how near I was to being in their positions, almost two years ago: alone. And I thought how my life would have been changed, had the worst happened.

I wouldn't have my beloved horse any more, because there's no way I could remain here in the country by myself. I don't drive. And even if I did, I couldn't keep up with this place; Cliff barely can, it's that much work.

Cliff was experiencing angina every day when we went for our walk, calling it heartburn. Any one of our daily walks could have done him in. Then an angel named Joanna came visiting and told me to get him to a doctor, because it might not be indigestion after all.

He was in such bad shape, the doctor wouldn't even let him come home once he was diagnosed, or even drive to the next hospital a few blocks away.

So this morning, I took some time being thankful for my husband, who never takes a breath without me on his mind. Perhaps that's hard to believe, but it's true. The man worries about me as though I were a toddler who needed constant watching to keep her from burning herself on the stove. I'll be flying down to visit my winter-Texan sister before long, and Cliff stews and frets, wondering if I'll lose my purse changing planes, or get kidnapped, or possibly killed in a plane crash.

He jumps through hoops trying to make me happy, never realizing I'm already happier than anybody has a right to be.

I understand how unique it is, in this day and age, to have someone care that much. Usually, once our mommies are gone, nobody is too concerned with the minor details of our lives.

And again, I am thankful.

6 comments:

  1. I was reading your post about the pictures, and my husband is going through the pictures that his mom saved for the family now. He's sorting them by family members et, and I am thinking of making a scrapbook or something for the family(ies). I always have grander ideas than anything that actually comes to fruition LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I also meant to mention that my husband is the same way about me. I thought he was going to go insane when I did a road trip with my dog Leon to Missouri for a seminar. Course it probably didn't help when I informed him of the funnel cloud I saw, and the realization I was in that sort of flat country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good husband is hard to find. I'm blessed too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cliff is definitely a 'keeper'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post -- and a testimony to the type of love that marriage is supposed to be all about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was so very blessed to read this. It is good to hear about a wonderful relationship.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!