Tuesday, March 05, 2024

What a crazy day!

I decided to try a different oatmeal cookie recipe today.  Why, I don't know, because I have a perfect recipe that the whole family loves.  I won't be making this new one again; it isn't nearly as good as what I've been using.  After putting the first cookie sheet into the oven, I sat down with my Macbook, opened it up, and clicked on Facebook.  However, I couldn't enter into that wonderful place where my friends live, because there was a huge notice in the middle of my screen that told me to type my password in so I wouldn't have to type it any more... something like that.  I did that, because I was pretty sure I'd seen that message before.  However, rather than entering Facebook, a huge picture came on, beeping like crazy, and telling me to call Microsoft because something was badly wrong, and also don't shut down your computer or you'll die.  OK, that isn't quite what it said, but I knew something was off.  Microsoft has nothing to do with Apple products.  However, I couldn't do anything else but listen to BEEP BEEP BEEP and see that warning.  

I went ahead and shut off my computer turned it back on to find I didn't die, and tried again.  When I first opened it, things looked right.  But the minute I clilcked on Google Chrome, which is the browser I use, there was that same mess that I could not click out of. 

I rebooted once again.  Same result.  Then I began wondering what would happen if I rebooted and clicked on the Safari browser instead of Google.  That worked fine, and I threw the Google app into the trash.  Good riddance.

About that time, I got a notice to change my Apple password.  It looked legit, but I was a little bit nervous ready to cry, thinking something had compromised my brand new Macbook.  I called in to Apple for help.  I found myself talking to someone who had a foreign accent, so I had to keep asking her to repeat what she said.  I tried to explain to her that I might have a real problem with my four-day-old computer and she directed me to someone who could help me.  

I had at least a one-hour wait, but I used the time wisely by turning two boneless pork chops into tenderloins with a meat hammer, then rolling them in flour, then in beaten eggs, then in cracker crumbs, so we'd have tenderloin sandwiches for (noon) dinner.  My kitchen right now is a mess:  there is the cookie-baking mess and the tenderloin mess; I can't even see the counter in there!  I will say, though, that if you feel angry or weepy, using the meat hammer is a good way to relieve stress.

All this time I was also taking not-that-great cookies out of the oven every 15 minutes, except for one cookie-sheet full of cookies that burnt.

Finally someone picked up a connection and started talking to me on the phone.  I could understand every word he said.  He explained to me what had happened and how people trick you by leading you to a different website.  He told me it was a good thing I didn't call the number or click on anything.  This wasn't my first rodeo, folks, and thank goodness I do know a few things, like, for instance, APPLE DOESN'T COME WITH MICROSOFT.  He couldn't manipulate my computer, but he had a little arrow of his own that he magically sent to my screen, moving it around so he could point out anything he needed me to show him.  He told me to take my Google Chrome out of the trash and found a tab that held the problem.  He had me get rid of that tab, then said it was OK to use.

All's well that ends well, but it's a wonder my blood pressure didn't cause me to have a stroke.  And all that started at the same time as the Facebook outage today.  


By the way, I do realize that you can get Microsoft for Apple computers.

8 comments:

  1. I tried to use Facebook Messenger on my phone today. It insisted that I needed to sign in, then insisted I had the password wrong. (I didn't - my password manager keeps them for me and automatically fills in the information.)

    An hour later everything was as it should be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister-in-law in St. Louis called me from work saying she needed me to help her with her Facebook password, but I was tied up with my mess. I have a feeling I wasn't the only person who got that notice. That's probably what caused the problem, now that I know you got that Facebook password request that started my whole problem!

      Delete
  2. I love oatmeal cookies and would eat them all, especially if they have brown sugar and walnuts in them! I ran into the Facebook/Instagram issue this morning and was sure it was on my end. :) I always blame myself. Glad the computer "issue" got resolved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:32 PM

    I got much the same screen on my phone, but I was at the store so I just shut the phone off and came home. By the time I had rebooted and all FB was back up. But I have gotten that screaming popup box too and had to reboot the computer. Scams are everywhere. Rebecca in MO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was trying to get to my Facebook and was told to change password. The email I saw 3 times on my cell had the same code to change it. Then I saw the national news on my cell alert about the Facebook outage. I waited a few hours when the news said it was resolved and tried again with no problem. Ya need a swig of rum with those cookies! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s always something. Crisis following crisis. I was having same feeling with FB. Where’s my password and finally I decided it was them not me and just read my book. Later the mess evaporated. I thought if I never get on FB again, so what.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:32 AM

    The whole facebook thing had me frustrated too. My son came in and told me that he saw on the news that facebook was down so that answered my questions. I just waited a while and tried again and it came right back on. Whew what a relief!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't understand why I couldn't access facebook (I use it for IM) on my phone. I entered my user name and password. That didn't fix it. I gave up, intending to get 'around tuit' later. Later I found out that everyone had a problem. You are a clever bunny. I never had an apple product, so I didn't know the microsoft stuff. Well done.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!