Monday, March 04, 2024

So here's what I did.

 If you read yesterday's entry, you know that I returned my brand new computer with a very loud fan constantly running all the time it was on; I returned it. 

So.  I like having a computer.  I spend more time on the Internet than I should, but it's what I like to do.  I still have my five-year-old Macbook, but it needs to be worked on: the fan was running often, and all the time I was using it, it was telling me that the battery was draining rapidly.  After that warning, if I kept using it, the battery was gone in half an hour.  

And after returning the PC I had purchased, I realized something:  I've had a Mac, and I don't want to go back to anything else.  

Again, I'm going to "keep it real" and confess something to you.  An Internet friend in nearby Kansas City kept using his propaganda on me many years ago, perhaps not realizing that I didn't need to be paying that much for a computer.  He took me to the dark side, making me one of those people who seem to have a champagne taste on a beer budget.  My daughter has told me, and so has my friend Meesha, that there's no difference:  a computer is a computer.  My daughter actually says PC's have advantages over Apple products.  My husband wonders why my computer doesn't have a touch screen (Mac doesn't make one and I don't want one anyway, so HA!).

But I am an idiot, and it seems that printers aren't the only things I ruin:  I've owned four or five (at least) PC's, none of which lasted over two years.  My first Macbook has lasted five years, and could possibly last five more if I had it fixed.  So why didn't I do that?

For the last couple of months, I've been seeing articles telling me that the Apple corporation finally decided to make a Macbook with a screen bigger than 13 inches.  My eyes aren't the best, and I wanted that.  Plus there were other things they had tuned up lately on the new ones, and I coveted all of that!  Just another one of the ten commandments I've broken in my life.             

It's very seldom that an old bargain biddy like me will pay too much for anything on purpose, but there have been a few times that I go into covet mode.  It's happened a couple of times when I just had to have a horse.  It happened twice when I wanted a certain high-priced Gibson guitar.  And thanks to Remley, who started this particular "gotta have it" fifteen or so years ago, it's happened again.

It did help that Best Buy had three hundred dollars off on the new 15 inch Macbook I wanted, but it was still far from being cheap.  

In case you are wondering what my husband thinks about this: when I'm happy, so is he.  That's why I help him buy old rusty tractors to fix up.

We pay all our credit cards off every month.  Next month I'll be taking some money out of my household account savings and hoping there's no emergency for awhile.  

Ain't life grand?

15 comments:

  1. I've been around both and I think it is mostly how you were brought into computing. I was brought into PC's and so use them. Whenever I have to use a MAC, I am slow figuring out where things are located. I'm sure with time I could become quite proficient. But I have no desire to change, especially with the price premium Apple charges for MACs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their prices are crazy, for sure.

      Delete
  2. My phone, tablet, and computer are Apple (although the desktop keyboard is a leftover from the previous Windows-based computer). My laptop is a PC. I've found each has advantages, and I think I'll always have both.

    I don't think there's anything wrong with getting exactly what you want in a laptop. I skimp on little things so I can afford splurges. It sounds like you do too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David8:52 AM

    I really didn't have that much to do with it..... as the old adage says, "a word to the wise is sufficient." :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life is short. Be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:26 AM

    I'm with you and prefer Mac's. I'd be lost without mine. Thankfully, My son's can help me out when I need a new one. One of them provided the computer I have now. He wanted an upgrade and I got his old one, which is still working fine. The kids all chipped in and bought it from him for my birthday !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:28 AM

    The comment above is from mostly known as Ma! good Luck on getting a new one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew it was you. You've had Macs ever since you retired, as I recall

      Delete
  7. I think you need to get what you're comfortable with. I started out on Apple, then my district switched to PC so I'm now more adept with them. I think Apple makes a better and more durable product, but it would take me a while to figure it out. Of course, I do have an iPhone which might make it easier.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had one of the first Mac computers that was made (outrageously expensive) and we had several others later (I had to have one to work a publishing job I had) but but the only place we could get them repaired was 90 miles way, so we switched to PCs. Hope it works well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had two Mac Minis and now I have my second Macbook air, so I'm not so new to it.

      Delete
  9. Anonymous5:27 AM

    Rebecca in MO here... I have never had a Mac, so I am not sure if I could adjust. I miss our iPad, which went bonkers a couple of years ago and has a badly damaged screen now. I use our PC and my phone. You really CAN do some things better on a PC...like type for one thing. At least for me anyway. I think saving up for a special purchase is just fine. I skimp on clothes so I can get books. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a Dell, mainly because my son worked for Dell and got it for me. I have had it for ages, the key board glows because I have worn the letters off! My son has a back door into mine and can solve many problems for me. It works for what I want despite HeWho has had 5 laptops simce I got this one and must feel guilty because he keeps offering a new one to me. At this age, I would say get what you want! My Dad was a big saver and would often talk about my inheritance. I told him to spend the money he worked so hard for and stop pinching pennies for me to have an inheritance. He finally did and that made me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Monica7:20 PM

    I don't think you would have been happy with a PC.
    Enjoy your MacBook!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!