Sunday, March 03, 2024

Computer problems

I don't know what it is about me that I can't seem to keep a printer very long before something goes wrong with it.  After throwing about four printers away since 1998, I finally decided to never buy another printer.  I really don't use them often anyway.  I probably use a scanner more often than printer.  Twice in the last year I've just sent what I have to print to our next-door grandson and he prints it for me.  

My five-year-old Macbook has been trying to die on me.  Considering I've used the poor thing as a TV tray, five years isn't bad (I'm serious about that... I eat potato chips, then turn the laptop over to shake the crumbs out).  Macs are so expensive I decided it was time to buy a PC, which the majority of people use with no problem.  I found one on Amazon that suited my needs and ordered it.  I could have bought three or four of them for what a Macbook would cost me.

When it arrived, I transferred the files from my Macbook, and set out to get used to my new Hewlett Packard.   Things were going well for the first 10 minutes, then I realized the computer's fan was running loudly.  I tried to ignore it, but since I'd been hearing the fan on my poor mistreated Macbook, I knew that sound.

So, the next day I went to Amazon, told them the fan was running loudly, right out of the box, and returned it.  We put it in the box it came in, but of course I had to print a label.  I sent an email to my grandson with what he needed to print, figuring he didn't have to be in a rush to do it.  I noticed he and his lady left shortly afterward.  No big deal.

Then I looked back at the instructions again and noticed this:  "All items MUST be returned by April 1, 2024."

All I saw was the letter one and thought:  Really?  I have to send it back today?  Isn't this the first of the month?  I looked at the calendar and, sure enough, it was the first.  See what I did there?  I actually blocked out April as though it wasn't there.

Grandson was gone, and here I am thinking it has to go back that day!  I'm don't like to bother people to do freebies for me, and I didn't know who I could get to help me... and then I thought of Paula, the Baptist preacher's wife a mile and a half away.  It was noon by this time, and I knew she'd either be giving the little girls she babysits their lunch or else getting them down for their nap.

I told her I had to send it back that same day, so she went ahead and printed it.  When I went to pick the label up, she had seen the date on the email I sent.  She said, "It it looks to me like you don't have to send it until April 1."  It took me a second to realize what I'd done, and I was so embarrassed!  Just so you know, the older I get, the more this sort of thing happens, especially when I let myself get upset.

But if anybody can be gracious about such an incident, it would be Paula, one of the busiest women in town.  The three little girls she babysits had just finished eating:  The two younger ones (ages three and four maybe?) came to the door with such big smiles, it was like they were glad to see me in a different place than church.  One of the kids even started singing happy birthday to me!  I'll take it, even if my birthday isn't until July.  Their smiles were so charming that every time I think about it, I smile.  Such sweet children.  

I'm make this part one of the story and will tell you what I did about getting a computer tomorrow. 

I want you to know that it's hard to tell the world I had such a stupid mixup, but I may as well keep it real.  

 

15 comments:

  1. Maybe go to a Best Buy store to get a computer. I have an EPSON printer, WF-3540, which has lasted longer than HPs and others. You're more talented than I to get stuff moved from one to another. Might want to consider buying an old TV tray...Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have pledged to myself to treat this one like it's made of gold.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and tomorrow's blog will have Best Buy mentioned in it.

      Delete
  2. Wow, Google logged me in with my google/blog address as soon as I clicked on it! I may have to enter the lottery now, and I've never even bought a scratch off ticket.

    I'm younger than you and I do things like that quite often. A few weeks ago I wasn't paying attention when I was making some cookies for my sister and to freeze some for me to have occasionally. I wasn't paying attention and added double the brown sugar that the recipe called for, so I had to double the recipe. It just happened that I had enough of everything else to double the recipe or I'd probably have just thrown it away.

    I have about the same luck with printers and when I divorced and moved a year ago this month I thew away an almost new printer because I was tired of having to fiddle with it every time I needed to use it, which was very seldom anyway. I haven't even really thought about buying a replacement and probably won't now. Jessica can print most if not all things I need now, bless her heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These kids and grandkids are really helpful when it comes to computer stuff. What would we do without them?

      Delete
  3. A problem panics me now. I understand how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:10 PM

    I think you blocked out March? I love my printer for making cards with card stock and will always have one. I've had pretty good luck with them although the first HP one I had lasted forever; the one after that didn't. We'll see about the one I have now. My daughters ask me to print stuff for them sometimes and I'm glad to help out. I have an HP laptop as well and have been happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That last comment was me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the problem is with the printer. I think it's me.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous12:13 PM

    I don’t print anything anymore. J has a printer in his room but I was too lazy to connect to it. Reality? I don’t miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Google tells me that the average lifespan of a printer is 3-5 years, but ours have lasted longer than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what I do wrong, but I'm still pretty sure it's me. I remember one time I tried to put the wrong kind of ink cartridge and it was never the same. I'm just stupid.

      Delete
  8. We just replaced our printer about a year ago. I hope it lasts a while. Fingers crossed. And Donna, you're not alone in making that sort of mistake. I make them all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of senior citizens worry about losing their thinking capabilities. I try not to worry about it, because worry just ruins the time we have right now. I remind myself that I still enjoy life, and I can still try to be kind to the people I'm in contact with. I have free library books and magazines to read on any type of computer, so I'm never bored. And there are people like you who try to make the world a better place... that is what I see in you, and I thought I should tell you. Let's just take it one day at a time and do our best.

      Delete
  9. I try to avoid HP products as they seem to be cheaply put together and have issues. I used to buy Gateway stuff until they went out of business and have since bought Dell. I avoid laptops as they don't last as long as desktops. My current Dell desktop is probably 15 years old and going strong, along with my Canon laser printer/scanner which is over a decade old.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!