Tuesday, March 12, 2024

It's the Methodist way

Even before I started attending the Methodist church in town, I knew that their preachers are chosen for them by a bishop.  I also noticed that their preachers don't usually stay with one congregation long.  It seemed to me that folks would barely get to know their pastor before he was gone.  Thanks to Google, I have learned that some preachers do stay longer, especially those in larger churches.  But that isn't the norm, especially for small churches.  

When I began going to the Methodist church, a new preacher had just been assigned:  I don't remember how long he and his wife stayed, but they decided to retire and move to Florida, so he wasn't there very long.  

I have thought it must be hard for a  preacher to deliver a sermon to such a small congregation made up of a dozen or so senior citizens.

Then, Jeremey came.  He was raised a Catholic, but somehow had become a Methodist preacher.  He and his wife are good-looking and sweet and easy to get to know.  Amazingly, we got to keep them for four years.

Which made it all the harder the Sunday before last to hear they had their orders to move on.  Jeremey waited untl he finished his sermon to break the news, then started trying to tell let us he was leaving, but it took him awhile because he was holding back tears.

And I thought, "He doesn't want to leave us!"

So this Sunday, during the "joys and concerns" time, I had something to say.  I told our little group I had always assumed that any preacher would be glad to move on from what is obviously a dying congregation.  Then I said to Jeremey, "But after last Sunday, I know you really care about us."

Every single person in the church said a big 'Amen', and again, Jeremey had trouble giving a response.  Some people are just special.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:44 AM

    Interesting. I don't think I would like that. Rebecca in MO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up in the Church of Christ where the congregation chose the preacher, so it's strange to me also. But since I'm not a member, it isn't up to me to complain. And at least the members can still go to church there, even with so few people. I'm just glad I have it there, because those folks are great.

      Delete
  2. As a Catholic I am used to clergy coming and going. It's hard when someone leaves, but I keep an open mind and their replacement is always just what I needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the Methodist people feel the same way. I look forward to the next one... it might even be a woman. They've had female preachers before.

      Delete
  3. It seems like the Episcopal church that I attended had their priests for long periods of time unless that priest decided to leave. Lately though I think they've had interim ones who go from church to church as needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up Methodist, and I think most Methodists don't like how little say they have in choice of minister, but accept it because that's just The Way It Is.
    The second minister I can remember was a woman, and that was the l late '60's.was a

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This Methodist church I've been attending has had at least a couple of female ministers that I remember hearing about before I ever had been in the church

      Delete
  5. What a sweet post. I know the churches around here seem to change leaders a lot, regardless of denomination.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!