Saturday, January 06, 2024

Some like it hot

There hasn't been an  extended cold spell here in our part of Missouri for a long, long time.  


I was trying to think of the positive side of bitter cold weather and did some googling.

  1. Better Sleep

    Many of these positive effects of cold weather stem in part from one of our most important processes: sleep. Studies agree that sleeping in a bedroom between 60 and 68 degrees Fahrenheit helps us fall asleep faster and maintain restful sleep. This indoor climate range is often easier and more cost-effective to maintain in cooler months than in the heat of summer.  No, I still won't sleep more than six hours, no matter the temperature.      Cliff will, but he always sleeps well.  And we always have our bedroom below 68 in the winter, so what's new?

  2. Immune Boost

    While it might seem to contradict the increased spread of common viruses, studies show that cold weather can trigger our immune systems to battle these very viruses more effectively. Beyond the ability to fight infections, mosquito-borne illnesses are also not a concern when temperatures are too low for insects to reproduce. Also, pollen counts are low in the winter, helping to eliminate some allergy culprits, aside from mold, dander, and dust.      We've neither one had so much as a cold since 2020 anyhow.

  3. Less Stress

    Cortisol has been found to be lower in our bodies during the colder months, which can lead to lower stress levels and less irritability. Additionally, when we safely exercise in the cold, we experience an increased release of endorphins over working out in warm weather that can lead to exhaustion and dehydration.      I'm sure this is right, since for about half of my adult life I walked for at least half an hour a day, no matter what the weather.  I can't do that now because of my knees, and neither can my husband.  It doesn't apply to us.

  4. A Cold Head, Not a Head Cold

    While prolonged exposure to extreme cold can be hazardous to the skin, consistent and safe exposure to cooler temperatures can benefit it. Like a cold shower, lower temperatures can stimulate blood flow and give your face a bright, healthy look. Beyond beauty, studies show that the cold can also boost our thinking. A cooler indoor climate helps us think clearly, and colder temperatures can help motivate complex cognitive tasks.      If you see me getting prolonged exposure outside in zero temperatures, you had better call an ambulance for me, because I'll be frozen in place.

  5. A Kick-Started Heart and Metabolism

    When you exercise in the cold, your heart must work harder to maintain your body temperature. With proper training, this can strengthen your heart. In addition to heart health, colder climates have been linked to increased brown fat. While most adults have white fat, brown fat is more energy-dense and corresponds to increased metabolism.       REPEAT:  I am not spending any more time outside that I have to!

Inflammation can be lower in winter

Ice packs can be used to reduce swelling and pain following an injury. Tucker explains that you may notice your joints becoming less swollen and puffy in winter because cold air acts as an ice pack to reduce inflammation.       HELLO!!!  I WILL NOT  BE OUTSIDE UNLESS I'M WALKING TO THE GARAGE TO GET IN THE CAR AND GO TO WALMART WITH CLIFF.

The only benefit I can think of for myself is that maybe a long, hard freeze will reduce the garden pests that like to kill my cucumbers and squash... and maybe do the same thing with ticks and fleas next summer.  

I'd take that.  

9 comments:

  1. A common misconception that my idiot husband will recite despite my constant correction is that if you go outside in the cold you will get a cold. Another favorite thought of his that his mother lived by is that if there is a pill for some ailment, take it, in fact take two. If one is good, then two must be better. During her life she took so many antibiotics for viral infections that when she was in assisted car they could not find one effective if she really needed one. I have always found the cold fresh air to be invigorating. My knee does not care for changes in weather, so I have been known to grab a blanket for my legs to sit on the porch for 15 minutes or so just to have some fresh air. My weather on the mountainside is much like yours in Missouri, but the days are warmer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear lots of people who blame a cold on the cold weather. And it cracks me up when someone says, "No wonder everybody is sick; it's hot one day and cold the next." As if that would cause a cold.

      Delete
  2. As long as I'm bundled up, I like the cold weather and the dark. I love winter sleeping! I don't sleep as well in the summer, even with a black out blind. Being so far north, we have sun early and late in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My best sleeping happens in the spring and fall, when the windows are open and the nighttime temperatures dip into the 50s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. There are supposedly less of them after a hard winter. I've never noticed it made a difference, but I've heard it did.

      Delete
  5. I certainly prefer the cooler weather, not freezing weather, just cooler. I guess that's why I prefer the winter months in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes sense, especially now, with global warming.

      Delete
  6. I hadn't yet seen that forecast yet. I wish I hadn't since I know I should probably subtract 10 degree from yours to arrive at our temperatures.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!