Tuesday, January 30, 2024

frozen leftovers

Probably a month or so ago, I made spaghetti for our dinner.  We ate it two days straight, and there was about two cups of my homemade sauce left, so I put it in a covered bowl and put it in the freezer.  The same week, we had chili.  There were about two cups of that left over, and I froze it too, in a similar container.  I put them both in the freezer in our refrigerator, because I didn't want them to be forgotten in the chest freezer; I planned for us to eat them before too much time passed.

The other day we went shopping and came home around noon.  I needed something I could quickly get ready for our dinner, and remembered those two bowls.  I raised the lids, sniffed both bowls and got out the chili.  I told Cliff I'd bake us each a potato in the microwave and put the chili on it; he'd never heard of such a thing, but he isn't picky about what he eats.  He took a bite and said, "This is really good, but I don't think it's chili.  It tastes like your spaghetti sauce to me."

"I smelled it," I said.  "Take it from me, it's chili."

When we were done with dinner, he said, "If that was chili, I sure didn't see any beans!"  

Of course there were beans, I told him; I saw beans in mine.  Sheesh.  Again, he said he didn't care, and that it was delicious.

Today I got out the other bowl out of the freezer and took the lid off.  There were beans in it... it was chili.  He was right all along.  

Yes, I told him.

Today we'll have the chili topping our potatoes, and maybe some peas on the side. 

And I'm going to hang our sheets on the line pretty soon.  Won't they smell fresh?  

8 comments:

  1. You could have mixed the chili and spaghetti and had Cincinnati chili. (although that has cinnamon and chocolate in it too) I love chili on a baked potato and usually also add grated cheese and sour cream. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how we eat them.

      Delete
  2. I've put chili on potatoes many times but I never tried spaghetti sauce. Perhaps I should....?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chili is better, but about anything works.

      Delete
  3. That's a great idea with the chili and the potatos...I have a pot of chili for today's supper. If we have left overs, I'll go with your plan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like something I would do :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have done this so many times! I now keep a sharpie in the kitchen, along with a roll of masking tape to label the containers before I stick them in the freezer. Masking tape so I won't permanently label a container. I have done that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun! I just froze some chili yesterday too. Since I've lost my sense of smell I wouldn't be able to tell chili from spaghetti sauce even if they weren't frozen.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!