Thursday, January 18, 2024

One of my home-made songs

I wrote this song when my children were about 13 and 15.  They are now in their 50's.  When we sold our first home, which consisted of and old two-bedroom house on 20 acres, we didn't realize what a treasure it was.  But after we bought our place here, with only 7 acres that was mostly ditches and trees, I realized what we had lost.  Later on we added over 30 acres to the back of it, but until then, I really missed the place we lost.  The song is true except for a few things I added for the sake of rhyming that imply we had more money here than in our first place.  Not so.  At my age, I may as well share this song with someone.  I consider it one of my best ones, and once in awhile I get a bit choked up singing it.  The title is The Old Home Place.

11 comments:

  1. Very nice, Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:43 AM

    I love the joy and sorrow in your song. It’s very precious to me. Blessings, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you could have done an about face at the time, would you have moved right back in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not. Cliff liked this place, and I didn't dislike it except for it not having anyplace on this property to go to get away from all the neighbors. I just missed the good things that happened at the other house.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous2:25 PM

    Oh Donna I love it! It reminds me of songs Loretta Lynn would sing her stories! 🎶 Gabby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for another song. I love ‘em.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:58 PM

    love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is excellent; your voice perfectly matches the tune and lyrics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh gosh, Donna. This is absolutely wonderful. I agree with Margaret that the melody and lyrics are truly beautiful and heartfelt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that song. You did a beautiful job writing and singing it. Makes me nostalgic for our little place we had growing up as kids. Mom, Dad and 7 kids in a tiny house but we had so much love and fun there. Thank you for sharing this with us! Wendy

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!