Monday, January 15, 2024

Feels like Alaska, but I'm glad to be alive to witness it

After watching the Chiefs beat the Dolphins in below-zero temperatures and seeing Coach Andy Reid's mustache frozen, I'm just happy to have a home with a furnace.  I go outside once or twice a day to make sure the two cats have food and water, which probably takes about three minutes.  Otherwise I'm inside.


Andy just joked about it later:  "Worst thing that could happen is it falls off," Reid said as the room full of reporters broke into laughter. At one point, the Chiefs coach's 'stache seemed to be solid enough that he just might have lost it on the turf at Arrowhead.

I refuse to set our thermostat over 69°, so we keep ourselves covered with blankets; I had to give Cliff an extra one, so I washed Gabe's blankie for him.  Our bedroom is far from the source of heat, but once we're in bed, the comforter between the bedspread and flannel sheet keeps us warm.  No electric blankets required.  Gabe sleeps in his cage on my side of the bed.  When it's this cold, I make him wear a sweater to bed.  He hates it, running all over the house trying to get it off; but once he's in the crate, he just lays down and goes to sleep.

I am trying a new recipe, since I still have a lot of cabbage from my garden to get rid of.  It's an easy slow cooker recipe and has excellent reviews.  I only have one huge cabbage I got from the garden in late November, and this is the second dish I've used it for, but it hasn't even taken half the cabbage yet!  It stayed on the back porch until freezing weather approached, then I brought it in, wrapped it in plastic, and put it in the refrigerator, where it has been taking up a lot of room.

That's a ten-ounce cup I put there for comparison.

Say, here's something I noticed yesterday.  I have a nice little compact food processor that I really like.  I bought it on Amazon because it is so small, since I don't have a lot of counter space.  

I've had it quite a while, and I should be ashamed to admit this (but I'm not):  There was a big tag on the cord that I had never taken off.  I didn't even know what it said, having never read it.  Yesterday I decided to take it off, so I read it first.


Why California?  A tiny little food processor can give you cancer, but only if you live in California?  

Things that make you go hmmm.

7 comments:

  1. A lot of plastics will have chemicals in them that in very high doses over long exposures can lead to cancer. California's Prop 65 law that they passed doesn't differentiate amounts of exposure length, only that it must be labeled as cancer causing if it contains any amount of that chemical and is going be sold in the state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I notice that this particular product is no longer on Amazon; maybe that's why.

      Delete
  2. You've got to admire fans that will brave such cold to root their team on. I read that tickets for the Chiefs game had really come down in price, but I wouldn't have been there in person even if they paid me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never put myself through an in person game in temperatures like that. I can't imagine how cold that must have been! I set my thermostat at 68 but usually have my fire on when it's cold. Mari and I tend to hang out right by it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you are much colder than we are. Both of us too cold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kinder weather on the mountain so ar this year. Once I get my toes and nose warm in bed, I am good for the night!. Bo is under the covers at my feet and Eddie is at the small of my back, so staying warm is easy in my bed! I am not a big football fan, but f I was, I wouldn't be out in that weather!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That IS cold!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!