Monday, January 01, 2024

New Years Day

Last night before I went to bed I put a pound of black eyed peas in water to soak.  This morning I woke up at 3 AM and got up to get it started cooking.  I don't normally get out that soon even if I'm awake, but I slept some yesterday afternoon anyway.

I never minded the taste of black eyed peas; it isn't something I'd eat often, but I could if I had to.  Cliff, on the other hand, hated them until I found this recipe on allrecipes.com.  He even reminded me the other day to get some black eyed peas, but as I told him, I still had a pound of them from last year.  As the recipe is written, it makes more than we would want to eat, so I halved the two-pound bag a year ago and kept the rest.  The recipe says to cook it for eight hours after soaking all night, but that's not necessary.  I did let it cook for five hours, but even that isn't necessary.  I've often wondered if he meant it to be cooked in a crock pot.   

Cliff ate a little bowl for breakfast!  And he hates to eat alone, so I also had a small bowl.

I just put cornbread in the oven, and we'll be having dinner within half an hour.  Oh yes, and I made myself some gingerbread, which is something else Cliff doesn't like.  But he has plenty of sugar cookies that will last him awhile, since he only gets one or two of them a couple times daily.  And when those are gone I'll make more.

The Chiefs kicker scored 19 points last night out of 25.  Incredible!  Next week, the Chargers.  I don't hold a lot of hope for another Super Bowl win, but I still have a little hope... or maybe it's just wishful thinking.

7 comments:

  1. They will beat the Chargers! I've never had black eyed peas and I'm with Cliff on the sugar cookies. I don't like gingerbread much either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't NOT like black eyed peas, but prefer other varieties of beans more. Go Chiefs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:50 AM

    A quick way to cook blackeyed peas is in the pressure cooker. Sometimes I do not even soak them, though soaking is better. They cook very fast, and while we add things like curry powders, tomatoes, onions, ginger , cilantro etc, they taste well with anything.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:51 AM

    I appear above as anonymous but am suranga from mumbai, India.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I'm surprised someone so far away as India found my blog. Welcome.

      Delete
  5. I don't know if I have ever eaten black eyed peas. to be honest. But it is certainly something that I would not mind trying. We eat a lot of beans and the like here. Happy New Year to you and Cliff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading your receipe, that is exactly how I make my navy bean soup!

      Delete

I love comments!