Sunday, April 16, 2023

A conversation with a stranger

We went to have Cliff's Cochlear implant inspected and found it's working great.  He also began the process that will get him an implant on the left side.  The lady told us it probably wouldn't do as well as the one he already has, since that ear has been basically deaf for over twenty years; but she said it should help him hear a little better, and if nothing else, might help him know which direction noises are coming from.  Honestly, even if it did nothing for him, it would have been worth trying.  We haven't had to pay very much for our part of the doctor bills.  And this one will be even less costly, because he's already had the MRI.  We do realize there is always some risk with any sort of procedure like an operation, but Cliff chose to take that risk.

After Cliff had signed in for his appointment, a lady came in with three children:  One about eight years old, one probably four, and a very tiny baby in a stroller.  At the front desk when she signed in, the woman at the desk said, "Oh yes, you had an appointment for her for December."

"Yes," she answered, "but I had the baby instead." 

It wasn't long before someone came and took the eight-year-old back for her appointment, telling the mother they were going to take the girl with them and teach her how to hear.  Right after that, it was Cliff's turn, and I went with him.

After Kristen had checked him out, she went with us to the front desk to make the next appointment.  When we walked into the front office, the four-year-old waved and smiled at me; since I'd heard her name earlier, I said, "Hello, Emma.  Are you still here?"  Her mom sighed and said, "Yes, it's been over an hour."

Emma seemed like she was being a very good girl for someone her size.  Her mother was holding that tiny, skinny little baby and feeding her a small bottle.  I asked her if I heard correctly that the baby was born in December.  She said yes, that she had weighed a little over two pounds when she was born.  She told me the baby was in the hospital a long time before they got to bring her home.  I asked how much she weighs now, and she said, "Exactly seven pounds."

Born in December and finally weighs seven pounds!

Then she mentioned she has five children altogether.  My goodness, how awful it must have been to have a baby in the hospital and not be able to spend time with her because of the children at home.  She said once the child was out of danger, they moved her to some other hospital, but then nobody held her or did anything with her except what had to be done.  I doubt that was the fault of the nurses; there's a shortage of nurses now, and it seems to be getting worse. 

I remember reading one time about some hospitals having volunteers, people who would come and hold the preemies and rock them.  I thought, "Now there's a job I'd love.  Just rocking and singing and talking to infants for as long as they needed it."

Unfortunately, there's no hospital next door to me, so I won't be volunteering.

This was really the first time I'd ever talked to someone with that woman's experience.  I will be thinking about her and her children for a long time.  I  wish I'd have asked if all her kids were girls.

8 comments:

  1. What a heartbreaking situation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, only 7 lbs after being here for that long. I was worried about my twin nephews being premature, but they are huge now! My twins were 4 lbs when they came home from the hospital and at 3 months Jill weighed 9 lbs. Her brother had mastered eating and weighed 18 lbs! He was the baby not expected to live, but he thrived. Hopefully that tiny one you saw will soon be hale and hearty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She sounds like she has her hands full. I too would love to hold babies in the hospital and do have one near me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly1:03 PM

    Hope things go well for Cliffords procedure. Yes, we nurses are short staffed, always have been, probably always will be 🥴, but yes have gotten worse over the last 10yrs or so. Sounds like that momma enjoyed your company, children are a blessing for sure.You guys have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:26 PM

    My premie granddaughter left the NICU ar 4 lbs and is in her mid thirties now. We are so blessed to have NICU nurses and volunteers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erin stayed with Ada in Children’s Hospital. It was hard for the rest of the family. Financially it was hard. Can’t even voice it all. But Erin said she would not leave Ada. Now, it’s been 4 years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:00 PM

    I too would love to hold babies and rock them. I no longer have a hospital here either though. And this is Margie from Margie's Musings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cuddling, rocking and holding babies would be my dream job, and it wouldn't even be a job for me! But like you, I'm not close enough to any hospitals for it to be a reality for me. But an old lady can sure dream!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!