Friday, April 14, 2023

Going with the flow

I've been watering every row of my garden every other day, not getting much for my efforts.  As soon as the sun came up today, I went out to see if anything new was growing and saw little difference in any of it and asked myself, "Why are you doing this?"

We always have plenty of food.  We do not depend on a garden to keep us alive.  Yes, it's true that freshly picked green beans and early June peas are much better than what we buy in cans at the store, but we can, and have before, lived without a garden.  As of this morning, I resolved not to water anything more except tomatoes, and possibly peppers, this summer.  I may just put a soaker hose down in the tomato row and leave it all summer, so all I'd have to do is connect it to a garden house, turn on the hydrant, go in the house, and set a timer.

Speaking of plenty of food, I practically fainted when I was getting ready for our weekly shopping expedition and noticed Price Chopper had 80% ground beef, the 10-pound roll, for $2.29!  I don't think it  was ever that cheap even before the pandemic.  I picked up a roll of it, and when I got to the checkout the lady said, "Did you know they'll cut that and wrap it however you want, so you don't have to take that long roll to your car?"

Nope, I had never even thought of it!  I've always come home and divided it up on my own into 1- and 1-and 1/2 pound freezer bags; or put the whole roll in the freezer, then got it out until I could cut the portions with a knife.

Our trip to Amish country went fine.  I always enjoy walking through their stores and finding some things I'd never see at any other location.  We had our picnic in the truck, since it was pretty windy at the park.  I didn't buy much:  A little bag of orange-slice candy in one place and some tasty over-priced cheese at a cheese store.  Then there's one store I love that is a combination of Amish store and bargain discounts, foods having a date that's about to expire.  I purchased a couple of regular jars of Miracle Whip for a little over $2 (expiration next month), and Cliff got a great deal on a big case of Gatorade; he loves the stuff.  I don't. 

Our last stop was a remarkable greenhouse selling lovely garden plants, both vegetable and flowers.  So I spent $16 there; the plants were very cheap... tomatoes, four smallish  plants for $2.  Since I had bought two large tomato plants close to home, I was glad to have a few small ones.

Today we go to Kansas City, Kansas, for Cliff  to have his hearing checked again.  I think he's going to get an implant for the other ear before long.

We're having perfect weather except for very little rain, and I'm not worrying about rain any more, so you'll hear no more griping about that from me.

Have a great day.

8 comments:

  1. What will grow will grow. I do love fresh green beans but I can get them elsewhere. I used to grow them and tomatoes; it became too much work for the payoff. I don't like Gatorade either--too salty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m reading “Growing up Amish”. Fits your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Due to circumstances, our farm garden now only has access to water if we carry it by bucket from a hydrant from 1/8th mile away. So last year, the only water we applied was a bucket full to each of the fruit trees we planted a couple times during the year. The rest did without and I was surprised how much we still got despite it being really dry for most of the summer. This year, we are planting our garden without plans to water it. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I remember, you got a lot of rain we didn't. When they show where the rain is going on the nightly news and weather, you can see the lower edge of it barely touching Kansas City and going northeast of us. But I have resolved to just wait and see what happens and quit acting like it's a big deal, because there are a lot of things worse than a failed garden if you have plenty to eat without it.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous4:29 PM

    I wish we had A Price Chopper near us!! The cheapest SALE PRICE around here has been $3.99 a pound!! 😞. ( this is Carlene)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend's daughter will finish 8th grade this year and is so anxious to be done with school. William was gobsmacked to hear that it was her final year of school. His face got very still and he said, "Can a person become Amish?'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:10 PM

    I love garden food but it's been years since I have had a garden. I live in town now and I just grow flowers. This is Margie from Margie's Musings...not Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!