Tuesday, April 25, 2023

good times

Ah, morel season.  There's something that will make one's heart go pitty-pat.  Our grandson has been very generous with family and friends, and today was his best hunt yet. 

He and his girlfriend only went to two of their honey-holes back of the Green Cathedral and got all these; more that 100, I think he said.  I have a large bowl of them in salt water in the refrigerator, but we probably won't be eating them until Friday or Saturday.  Tomorrow is shopping day in the forenoon and a funeral at noon; his girlfriend's grandmother died.  Alex is like part of our family at this point, so I'm going to the funeral.  Her grandma was a member of one of the two churches I attend, also.

We had a frost and freeze both Friday and Saturday nights, so we covered the tomatoes and peppers with buckets and such (five tomato plants, four pepper plants... so that wasn't difficult.)  Here's a strange thing:  Sunday morning the temperature was at 28°; we were forewarned, so we dug up some raggedy old sheets and drapes and threw them over the strawberry patch.  Some of them were already blooming, and I assumed a freeze would destroy the blooms.  When I got home from church and uncovered those plants, they were fine... but so were the ones we hadn't covered!  

We still haven't gotten a really good rain, so I'm not planting anything more than I already have.   The 7/10ths we got last week soaked up so fast, it's already disappeared.  I'll water the tomato plants this year, but that's it.

Cliff and I are both reading "Growing Up Amish", which was suggested to me by a blogger friend.  We are learning a lot about their religious practices. 

That's all I have for today.

10 comments:

  1. This morning I went out for the third time to look for morels. We finally have enough moisture and it looked promising but I was unable to locate any. I suspect that by this weekend after a few more days of sunshine, ours will be poking up too. I hope we have a good season again like last year.

    Ira Wagler grew up partially in my neck of the woods, less than 20 miles away anyway. I don't recall at what age he moved to the Bloomfield area from Canada but I think it was in his early teens perhaps. It is a good book and one that I've read a couple times over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little girl we babysat, her mom was raised 30 miles from that town and her grandmother still lives there (She calls her "my Iowa grandma"). Anyway, for a year or two she was helping the Amish women with birthing their babies. McKee is the last name, in case you would happen to know of them.

      Delete
    2. I have a McKee branch in my family tree so very well may be distantly related to them.

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure I've ever had a morel although I do love regular mushrooms. (not portobellos though)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only had morels one time. They grew in the campground woodsy areas. Campers found out and that was that! I am looking to see if we can raise them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not likely. Morels have a quirky life cycle that makes them notoriously tough to grow. It has been done, though.

      Delete
  4. Wow. Aren't you the lucky one! A grandson who shares his morels! TBH, I don't think I've ever actually had a morel either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here lately, I have been reading books by Samantha Price, Linda Byler, Wanda Brunsetter and a few others. All are Amish fiction which I like because they are relatively peaceful and non- violent. I read a preview of the Ira Wagler book you are reading, and I have put it on hold at my library to read next. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was surprised at all their (Amish) weird ways. 😂😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was flabbergasted when I found out the way they decide who is going to be their next preacher! They don't care if the man wants the position or not!

      Delete

I love comments!