Tuesday, April 11, 2023

What a wonderful day

We got about 3/10 of an inch of rain yesterday.  When the sun came out after noon, the grandson went looking for morel mushrooms.  He and Alexandria found little grays that were too small to pick, but that's enough to get a morel hunter excited.  People in the Kansas City area are advertising morels $50 for a quart or $100 for a gallon, so there are a lot of them somewhere.  It's been so dry here, it's no wonder we aren't getting any.

I have radishes, onions, peas, beets, and spinach up and beginning to grow now, so that makes me happy; I planted my potatoes, as usual, on Good Friday.  I even planted a row of green beans.  I bought two good-sized tomato plants last week and set them out.  

Tomorrow we're planning to travel up to Jamesport, Missouri, to Amish country.  There are always folks selling garden plants up there, so I'll likely get everything else I need in the way of plants.  There's still the possibility of a hard freeze, but looking at the ten-day forecast, it doesn't seem likely.  I could easily cover the tomatoes if it does get cold, and everything else that's up can stand it.

We decided to go to Jamesport tomorrow because our dog, Gabe, goes to Bed and Bones for a trim.  We'll drop him off after 8 A.M. and pick him up when we get back; meanwhile he can have fun with his furry friends that run around the place.  We have some ham from Easter Sunday, so I'll make us some ham and cheese sandwiches and take a couple pieces of the chocolate cake I made today for dessert.  The next three days are supposed to get up to 80, so it'll be a nice day for a picnic.

That's all I have today.

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:42 PM

    Sounds good to me! This is Margie from Margie's Musings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't gone out looking yet for morels. Normally based on past years, I still have at least a week and a half to two weeks before I start finding the gray morels. Last year was a pretty good year for us after several years of too dry, too wet, too cold. Right now the soil moisture is about perfect for them but that can chance in the next 10 to 14 days. Hopefully we have another decent year for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful adventure for a beautiful weather day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sound busy with great outings and activities. I am looking forward to getting my annuals in about a month. Until then, it can get too cold at night. 80! We're still in the 50s here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:03 PM

    I love to go to Amish country here in Missouri. We normally go near for Versailles. Have fun! It’s a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:03 PM

      This is Gabby Gengler

      Delete
    2. We went there until Cliff's relatives at Versailles all died

      Delete
  6. I haven't see any morels around here, but did notice someone selling them on Marketplace, so they must grow in this area. With my appetite being non existant I won't be buying any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you and Eddie soon get over your problems.

      Delete
  7. It sounds like a wonderful day. It was in the 80s today. I enjoyed it very much. It will snow on Tuesday. :(

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!