Monday, October 24, 2022

Rainy days make me think about old times

I don't think much about my high school years, but it's the time of year when I sink into ennui as I kiss summer and spring goodbye, and today I landed in my 10th-grade (I think) psychology class.  If anybody remembered me from high school except for my two cousins, I'd be surprised.  I pretended to be invisible, walking from class to class wishing I was out of school.

I remember a couple of teachers fondly, but lately have been thinking about a psychology teacher I barely recall.  I don't even know his name, but he was liked, I think, by most students and had a great sense of humor.  He had some books he wanted us to read for his class.  I don't know if there was a list to choose from or perhaps he just told us about the two we were to read, but after all these years, I remember a lot about both the books I read.

One was "The Natural Superiority of Women", which must have been ahead of its time, considering it was first released in 1953.  It was written by a man, Dr. Ashley Montagu.  I read it, I suppose, in 1960.  I liked it just fine, and still recall some of the things I learned from that book, which is now out of print.

The other book was "The Hidden Persuaders", by Vance Packard, published in 1957. and it's still available on Kindle.  It explains how advertisers manipulate consumers without them even realizing it, although I like to think these days we are a little wiser.  For instance, when toothpaste was advertised on TV, it shows a strip of toothpaste as long as the brush part of the toothbrush, so that's how much everyone used, when all that's really needed is a little dot of it on the brush.  Think of all the toothpaste that was needlessly used!

The only thing I remember about the teacher himself is that he sort of hinted that he had become an atheist, but did it in such a way he couldn't possibly get in trouble.  He was actually having a conversation with all of us, and something was said about Baptists; I don't know what it was, but certainly nothing negative, or I'd recall it.  At some point in the context of what he was saying, he said, "My wife married a Baptist."  Whatever else was said, I don't know; but I thought to myself, "He doesn't believe in God."  Somehow I guess I thought atheists had to be terrible people, and this was a teacher I really admired.  

My goodness, I haven't thought about all this in over fifty years!

I have atheist friends on Facebook now, all very nice people... although some of them like to make fun of Christians.  It took me a while to realize we must live and let live to get along in this world. 

I don't argue religion with anyone.  I will confess to you that I believe in God, and I find my peace in Jesus.  I love the Bible.  But I will not try to change your beliefs.  You can't force such things on people, and it often just makes folks dislike both the messenger and the message.  

As for my sweet atheist friends... just pat me on my silly head as you go by, and remember I'm harmless.

I just read this and thought, "I'll bet people will wonder how on earth I got on this train of thought; this blog entry is all over the place!

Peace.

6 comments:

  1. I try not to judge. No one will quit being a nonbeliever by being hit in the face with what I think. I hope they can see Christ in me. But I’m not a very good example. I fail every day. Glad God’s forgiving grace abounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although thoughts of school still come to me, it is rarely of the classes I took and instead comes into the form of the people I was around. I sometimes wonder where so and so is and what became of their life. Sometimes I can find the answer thanks to Google and other times I am left still wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:36 AM

    I do a class newsletter every Christmastime and stay in touch with all the classmates that want that letter.This will be year 25 for me doing it. They are supposed to send me a Christmas card with their news..or nowadays they can send an e-mail. Every year It turns out to be 7 1/2 pages long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, that Anonymous is me but I don't know why it is called that. Right under it is Margie's Musings and that's me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured that out because I've seen you tell about doing the newsletter on your blog.

      Delete
  5. I'm technically not very religious (won't go into why because it veers into the political) but don't consider myself an atheist. I'm generally a pretty nice person unless pushed. I often think of my high school days, especially since I taught at the same high school that I attended. Many memories were made there!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!