Monday, October 17, 2022

Interrupted Road Trip

We have talked about going to Colorado again for weeks, but with our doctor appointments and all (mostly Cliff's appointments), we kept putting it off.  Cliff is finally making some headway toward his cochlear implant and has to go to our regular doctor next Thursday to make sure he's up to the surgery.  The weather is getting cold, and before long Colorado will be getting snow.  Cliff said, "Why don't we just go tomorrow and come home Wednesday?"

So with no planning at all, we packed our bags.  Friday A.M. we got in the car, dropped Gabe off at Bed and Bones, and headed out.  Cliff's asthma has been acting up, but he said he figured if he's just driving a car and not doing much of anything that's an effort, he'd be fine.  He hadn't slept well the night before we left, so he said we'd probably just go halfway or so and get a motel Friday night. 

We landed in Hays, Kansas around 1:30 P.M. and checked into a hotel suite, so we'd have more than one chair to sit in.  I hate trying to watch television from bed!  Cliff noticed an Applebee's across the street and wanted to go there for some unknown reason.  He ordered a meal; I simply ordered a chicken quesadilla appetizer.  He had wanted a nice meal, but you  really don't get that at Applebee's in my opinion.  My appetizer was OK.  

Hays is a thriving, busy town of almost 21,000 people.  Our grandson had been there once and gone to the Sternberg Museum of Natural History, and thought we might enjoy it.  We were really impressed by the displays, and even the live frogs, turtles, and snakes there; however, we can't walk much more than an hour before our legs start hurting; I would have loved to stay longer, but I can only put up with the knee pain for so long, and Cliff isn't in much better shape.  I'll add some pictures from the museum and be back tomorrow with the rest of our road trip story.


This depicts Sternberg excavating the "fish within a fish" in Gove County, Kansas, in 1952.  Imagine a time when an ocean covered Kansas.






.... To  be continued

4 comments:

  1. How fun! I've never done a spur of the moment overnight trip

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how spontaneous you both are! I wish I were more like that. That museum looks fascinating. I enjoy natural history museums.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm amazed at the transformation that has befallen Applebees. I remember years ago when it was kind of fancy to go eat there. Then somehow over time, it kind of became a place where you could go to get a meal but it wasn't fancy or even really good anymore. In the last few years though, they have improved in quality but it still feels more like a meal you might get at someone's house on a visit than one you remember. We have one in town and perhaps eat at it once a year. We find other places that serve the same quality, for perhaps less money, and most importantly, not as busy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How interesting! I would love to see that museum!.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!