Wednesday, October 19, 2022

bye-bye, garden (and Cliff's cochlear implant approaches)

Thursday when we heard there was a hard freeze coming, I went out to see if there was anything I wanted to bring in.  My first thought was the turnips; about 90% of the seeds hadn't made turnips, although they had produced lots of greens; unfortunately, I don't care for turnip greens.  However, the other 10% or so of the seeds made good-sized turnips, the sweetest-tasting I have ever had.

Next, with Cliff's help, we dug up the very few sweet potatoes.  Moles or mice had ruined some of the largest ones, and there was only one sweet potato for each plant for the most part.  They are delicious, though... they just didn't have enough water to form and grow.

There were six or seven beets, huge ones.  I made pickled beets out of some of those huge ones several days ago, and they are delicious.  Those big ones weigh over a pound.  

Having rescued the below-ground crops, I picked a few ripe and almost-ripe tomatoes, small though they were.  Then I picked quite a few green ones.  I might make some fried green tomatoes, but my real intention was to let them ripen in the house, because they'll still be better than those plastic-like tomatoes I buy in the store. 

So that's the end of the garden, at least for this year.

I think the time is getting near for Cliff to get the cochlear implant (receiver/transmitter) put inside his head near his right ear.  Then for about a month, he will be totally deaf.  I'd better buy a couple of notebooks for us to write to one another!  The doctor said he might notice his tinnitus even more during that time, since that will be all he can "hear".  Tinnitus, as you may know, is not genuine sound, but is caused by certain damaged nerves fooling you.  

Anyway, he has to see our regular doctor Thursday to find out if he's well enough for the surgery.  It isn't a big deal as surgeries go, and he will likely come home the same day.  It should be scheduled after Medicare okays it and Cliff is cleared for the surgery.

We are so hoping it lets him hear again.

If you want to know more about the procedure, you'll find information HERE.

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:49 AM

    Praying Cliff has a good outcome !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope and pray that Cliff has the best possible results from the implant and can hear better than he has in years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:10 AM

    I totally forgot the tomatoes before our freeze. But did get the green beans and what squash and cucumbers I had left. It is a bummer that the garden is kaput now, but I am ready for a break from it at the same time. Hope all goes well with the implant procedure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden bounty looks wonderful! I too love pickled beets, by themselves or in a salad. Hoping for the best for Cliff!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, a few little notepads sitting around will help, unless you two have developed your own sign language. Cuz they mess with your inner ear putting in the implant, he may be a little dizzy for a few days, but that settles down. Be sure and read all of the pre-surgery info, and what to do afterwards. There's a lot of steps between the implant surgery and the activation of the device, but hearing and learning to hear again is an adventure! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  6. All we have is one row of dry beans to pick that was still greenish two weeks ago when they were there last. Other than that, our plan this weekend is to put the garden away for the winter as well and perhaps till it if there is enough moisture but I don't think there will be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope Cliff has a successful surgery. My grandmother was very deaf and the only way anyone could communicate with her was to cup their hands around her ear and nearly shout into the ear She had hearing aids but they were worthless. Of course that was in the 40's. I wear one in my right ear and it works well. I need one in the left ear too but I cannot afford one. They are way too expensive but I get along as well as possible..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how my paternal grandfather was.

      Delete
  8. Oh yes, Cliff will be able to HEAR those vegetables grow next season! As in, when was the last time he heard the breeze go around the trees? Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  9. We used to love boiling the beet leaves and eating it with a touch of mayo. We can't find fresh beets anymore though.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!