Saturday, October 08, 2022

It was cool inside this morning

Our propane tank was still almost half full Thursday when the truck came out and filled it up.  I'm glad it wasn't nearly empty, because propane is $2.15 per gallon, making it $236 for the 110 gallon they put in the tank.  This morning I turned the furnace on because when I got out of bed, the temperature in the house was 62.  

I'm hardly even going out to the garden lately.  I tried to dig my sweet potatoes, but couldn't even get that done.  All I got was a couple of sweet potatoes and several dirt/sand clods the size of my head.  I did, however, find some late-planted beets that I had given up on because very few of them came up.  However, I found out the few that survived were big, some over a pound; so I made some Harvard beets.  I also pickled some beets to keep in the refrigerator and eat in the next few days.  We received some free cabbages recently, so I boiled one, drained it, and then buttered it.  To fill out the meal, I found enough green tomatoes to fry.  The grandson walked over and asked if we had anything for him to eat, and I laughed.  He isn't terribly picky, but I had managed to cook three things he doesn't like:  Fried green tomatoes, cabbage, and beets.  However, there was a full serving of the beef stew we'd had the previous two days, so he didn't starve.

It's a beautiful fall day outside, and here we sit, Cliff and I, watching some pretty good pro football on Hulu/NFL.  I have two good books to read, and I'm watching football.  I never thought such a thing would happen to me.  After church tomorrow I'll do my reading, since the Chiefs don't play until Monday Night.    

Oh, by the way:  after we had watched one-and-a-half games, I found out those games were played last week!  Only college games are ever on Saturday.  Oh well, we hadn't watched them, so they were new to us.  I'm sure we had them recorded on Hulu, but Cliff hadn't watched either one yet.  We're still getting used to streaming services.

Other than this stuff, I have nothing to report except that Cliff has an appointment on the Plaza at St. Luke's Hospital, something having to do the cochlear implant.  I suppose that's where he'll have the operation, but we don't know when that will be yet.  And we're still thinking about a possible road trip before winter takes hold.

I've been trying to get all the dirty summer clothes and sheets washed to put them in the trunks for winter.  The flannel sheets are now on the bed, and my skimpy nighties have been switched for winter pajamas.  The washing machine has been going most of the day.

Blue and Gabe, saying goodbye for me.

6 comments:

  1. I was trying to work outside some, but like your soil mine is like cement. Your cabbage sounds so good. Wishing for rain for us both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! You're going to the same cochlear implant group I went to! Take notes; there's a lot of info. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how my heat pump will affect my heating bill. It seems like it cut down on the price last year. I'm mainly using electric now and hardly any gas which is the opposite of what it used to be. I'll be watching the Seahawks tomorrow and probably won't enjoy it much. But I'll try not to annoy John with my negativity and pessimism. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I washed my regular bed sheets, put them away and put my flannel sheets on my bed yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That photo of Blue and Gabe is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you're ready for the next season. I forgot what that was like before we moved back to Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!