Thursday, October 06, 2022

cats and forgotten blog entries

Blue the cat got into a new predicament today. I let him come inside this morning and he went through his usual routine: He got a drink from the dog's water bowl, went to his scratching post and gave it a fit, then went on a tour of the house, as he always does, just to see that nothing has changed. However, he didn't come out of the main bedroom for quite awhile. Finally, he managed to come to the kitchen looking quite disgusted. Cliff had put one of those sticky-pad things under his bed to catch spiders, and Blue had stepped on it, so he was dragging that with him. He came right to me, knowing I'm the one who always saves him. What a time I had, pulling that gooey thing off him! When I finally got it off his feet, it was sticking to my fingers and I had a time getting it to stay in the trash.
Blue spent the next ten minutes licking his sticky feet, then wanted to go outside. I guess he's decided it isn't safe in here.

Yesterday I got an email letting me know someone had made a comment on a blog entry I did in 2007. My settings won't let anybody comment on an old entry because spammers often leave comments with links, trying to further whatever their cause is. If it's a genuine comment from a real person, of course I allow the comment onto my blog. The person left just enough information to make me curious. Here's what he wrote: "His name was Gale Howard. He passed away recently. I'm his kid. He was a lovely man even though I only knew him briefly. Thank you for this."

I can't imagine how he (or she) happened onto that blog entry, since it didn't have the man's name in it.  Perhaps she googled "Napoleon Elevator" and found it that way.  The entry I'm talking about is THIS ONE, about one of my many adventures riding my horse around the countryside.

I've had several comments like this where someone googled their way onto my blog.  After the Twin Towers attack on 9/11, I was part of a project where people found out things about some of those who died, and wrote stories about some of them.  I did this for several years, and when 9/11 comes around, I usually get a lot of traffic to those entries.  Some of them have commented, thanking me for keeping memories of their friend or family member alive, so people know they existed.

And now I'm going to google Gale Howard and see what I can find out about him.

P.S.  I found his very brief obituary HERE.


7 comments:

  1. Poor Blue! That would be confusing. I would love to get a comment like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor perturbed kitty! Rubbing alcohol or adhesive remover will get it off, eventually. Bet he never goes under the bed again. I use those covered brown boxes with folded up sticky panels inside for crickets and spiders, called Roach Motels. They're more expensive, but I don't have to see the victims or accidentally step on them. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  3. We never realize how what we write may affect others. Good sometimes, but bad sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a couple of posts that acquire comments every few years. In my case they're about local history.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally getting around to commenting again. Hubby has surgery in Nov/Dec to have stents put in his legs. Her's been quite sick. Anyway. Tickled to hear the cat story.. Made me smile. Typical kitty. Thats very intriguing about the comment. There is a story there I'm sure. Good luck finding more info. I enjoyed your horse stories. always delightful

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband, Bob, went to 9/11 as a chaplain for Red Cross. He stayed four weeks and they sent him back in February for another three weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Occasionally I would have people stumble across some of my older posts and leave a helpful comment. It was why I put them out there and it worked, albeit with a longer time frame than I might have imagined. It is a great way to preserve memories.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!