Friday, January 07, 2022

What a way to start the day

My knees, both the artificial left knee as well as the right one I was born with, have given me fits for the last few days.  I haven't been going for my walks on these frigid days, so that's not the problem; Cliff said it's probably just the cold weather, and he could be right.  Both knees always hurt a little, but not enough to slow me down much.  They've hurt enough lately that I've been limping around the house.  

My husband rides the recumbent bike most days.  I decided I'd do thirty minutes on it, since that often makes my knees hurt less.  As I was getting on the bicycle, Cliff said he was going to get a haircut.  I made it almost 15 minutes when I heard strange noises from somewhere in the house:  The only one in here besides me was Gabe, so, fearing he'd gotten into something he shouldn't, I went to check on him.  I found him in front of his crate with vomit all around him, in the cage and out.  The stink was awful, so I decided to forget about my thirty-minute ride and do some cleanup.

Wednesday we had two cantaloupes given to us.  I peeled and deseeded them, and cut them into smaller pieces for storage in the refrigerator; then I tossed the rinds and seeds over the back fence, where I always toss vegetable waste.  As I cleaned up Gabe's mess, it appeared to be mostly cantaloupe, cantaloupe seeds, grass, and some unidentifiable junk.  Yuck.  I got as much as I could off the floor and the mat in Gabe's crate, and tossed them in the washing machine.  

Then I began getting ready to give him a bath.  There's one thing you have to realize about Schnauzers:  anything that goes into or comes out of their mouths, and even any nasty thing they stop to smell, leaves residue in their beards.  I think Gabe may have stepped in some vomit, too.  I knew he didn't feel his best, but the bath had to happen, so I forged on.  He had one more upchuck after I got him out of the bath, but it was mostly water and foam.  He's laying beside me in my chair now, and his stomach is growling a lot, so I know he still has a bellyache.  

I did an Internet search to see if cantaloupe is bad for dogs, but what I found was that cantaloupe, even the seeds, are good for them.  However, the rind can be another thing.  I have a feeling he just had too much of a good thing, judging by the number of seeds I cleaned up off the rug.  He's always hungry!  I got a puzzle bowl for him long ago because if I feed him in a regular bowl, he eats so fast he often pukes it up right afterward; my dog lives to eat. 

So how's your day going?

7 comments:

  1. Ewww-Mari throws up sometimes but it's mainly just food and doesn't smell bad. She also eats too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my granddog had a bad tummy, my son used to feed him pumpkin from a can (not the pie mix). It would somehow settle his stomach. What a day you had!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds terrible. I don't envy your having to clean up that mess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, poor baby. That goes for the both of you. Hope he is feeling much better now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope he is all better now . Not a good way to start the day at all for either one of you. In the winter my whole body seems to freeze up. I'm moving slower than ever, pretty soon, I'll not move at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh lordy... poor Gabe... and poor Gabe's mommy!! Life with a pet is not all bowls of cherries, that's for sure. Sometimes it's bowls of pu... well... you know what I mean. *hugs* ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry your Gabe was so sick,and you had to clean up the mess and give him a bath, too,with your knees hurting like they were.

    Everywhere that I have or have had arthritis in the past, even my replaced knees, or broken toes from years ago, ache during most days in the winter. It is a background of dull pain almost all of the time in the winter , some days more than others. I don't understand why, it's not like I am living outside or something. I am usually in the house. Thankfully I go back to normal in the spring, summer and fall.

    Take care and I hope your knee pain eases up. (And Gabe doesn't get so carried away with what he eats anymore.)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!