Wednesday, January 26, 2022

I'm still among the living!

I'm right here at home and haven't caught Covid yet, but January and February have typically been times when it's hard for me to find anything I want to blog about.  When that happens, and days go by between entries, I force myself to say something, even if it doesn't amount to a hill of beans.  There was a time when I fed the birds in winter and blogged about that, but these days I've lost my concern for the birds.  We watch some television, but there's very little worth talking about there, although I will recommend that you watch "Call the Midwife" and the new version of "All Creatures Great and Small".  I donate five bucks a month to PBS so I can live-stream all their programs.  It's the cheapest streaming app I know of, and worth all the other apps combined.  I don't get Netflix any more because there are usually only one or to shows I like.  I do have Amazon Video, but that and PBS are enough for me.  Cliff doesn't care for streaming and wants to watch without commercials, so we have Directv for $100 a month.  It gripes me to pay so much with inflation what it is, but Cliff worked hard and steadily until he retired, and I'm not going to take his television watching away from him.  

Oh yeah, how about my Chiefs?  I love this short video so much, I've watched it several times.  I can relate to this guy's excitement, because Cliff and I were acting about the same way. 


The Chiefs are a bright spot on winter days.  It's getting so I watch most of the games now, even when the Chiefs aren't in the game.  Cliff told me the other night, "I sure am glad you started watching football with me."

I have a haircut coming up this afternoon, so I'll pick up what few groceries we need afterward.  I'm thinking I'll get that turkey I bought before Christmas out of the freezer and roast it next week.  I have so many casseroles that require cooked chicken, and turkey works great for those.  Not to mention turkey salad sandwiches and turkey pot pie.  I'll just freeze the leftovers in two-cup portions and be ready for all those great meals.

It's only 53 days till spring!  

10 comments:

  1. I love turkey and should eat more of it than I do! I am a big fan of Call the Midwife and All Creatures (new version); boyfriend isn't so I watch them on my own. He likes stuff like The Mandalorian which I watched a couple of episodes of then told him tactfully that it wasn't my thing. Is that PBS Passport that you pay for? I've thought about it, but Comcast has on demand which allows me to watch the programs any time if I miss an episode. I pay SO much for cable that I don't want to add any more streaming services. (I get Amazon Prime and Netflix through my son-in-law)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's Passport. You can pay more, since it's a donation. But five dollars is the lowest you can go. "

      Delete
  2. 33 days until meteorological spring, baby.... wheeeeeee!!! :-D

    Yep, I hear ya about the cost of "television". We only have the Amazon Firestick and that's because we have Amazon Prime for the free shipping on their website. Otherwise it would be DVDs or nuthin'. Once in awhile I think I'd like to have cable and get all the news channels and maybe the Hallmark Channel and things like that. But I have to be honest & say that popular programming today, for the most part, makes me sick to my stomach. And if it's not the programming, it's the commercials. Total smut! And I don't want that smut in my house! We had cable tv all of a month before that one Super Bowl, a few years ago, when the halftime show was so incredibly vulgar that I called the cable company the following morning to have it disconnected. So that was the extent of our normal "television". When I expressed curiosity about Netflix, my son piped up and said "That wouldn't be for you, Mom!". He said the majority of shows are immoral trash. He knows me so well. So... we've made a life without television... for many years now... and I suspect it will continue. I do enjoy listening to the radio and watching some creators on YouTube. With the Amazon Firestick I can watch YouTube on my living room tv. Hubby watches billiards videos on YouTube, with his Firestick.

    I'm going to have to check out that PBS thing for $5/mo. tho. That sounds good. I bet I can get it with my Firestick?

    Turkey sounds soooo good. I have a bone-in ham in the refrigerator that I might make tomorrow. I got it with my last Walmart curbside pickup.

    Try to keep your spirits up, kiddo. I know it's hard. I'll try if you will. ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I watch PBS on my Firestick.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the Chief's win. Be proud. No reason they can't go all the way. There was some exciting football this week end. All good games. I didn't have a horse in the race but still enjoyed them. I am more of a baseball nut.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cheered for your Chiefs. Great game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like PBS shows. I do have Netflix and am just starting season four of Ozark, one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't care for Ozark. I don't like a show where things constantly go from bad to worse and there's no real hero. Old-fashioned, I know.

      Delete
  6. Same here, I'm alive and kicking and trying to keep warm. It's been so cold out that I'm hoping that it freezes out some of the germs going around. Covid is such a scary thing. Some of my children have got it even though they were vaccinated. I don't much watch any sports on tv but do enjoy netflix. I have watched all the episodes of Call of the Midwife. Thank goodness times have changed since then. Keep warm and safe and healthy there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cheered for the Chiefs because of you...haha! So glad they won, now to go all the way!!
    I'm trying to keep warm up here in northern MN. Its supposed to be above zero for the weekend and the first of next week before going down in the minus's again. Ugh! Can hardly wait til spring, but we are gaining daylight in the evening now. Its light till after 5:30
    I cooked up a small turkey last week and got 3 bags of 2 cups each from it. Gave 2 bags to my daughter for them to use.
    I pay WAYYY to much for tv here too. I do have my son in laws extra fire stick with his account but I still pay almost $130.00 a month for just the tv package. Ugh! Wendy

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!