Saturday, January 15, 2022

Ah, the stark beauty of winter

We've had a good day so far, hibernating in our house.  The first real snow of winter is always exciting to me, even at my age.  The dog and cat were housebound with us, entertaining us as usual.  At one point this morning, Blue-the-cat hopped up on Cliff's blanketed lap, curled up, and went to sleep.  After about twenty minutes, Gabe noticed Blue there, and being the jealous type, jumped up between Blue and Cliff.  There those three sluggards stayed until Cliff finally got up to get a cup of coffee.


 Cliff and I were both lazily surfing the web around 11 o'clock when Arick and Alex came over, looking hungry.  Cliff and I were planning to eat some leftovers around noon, but since they showed up I asked if they wanted me to make them either pancakes and sausage or biscuits-and-gravy.  Arick wanted pancakes, Alex wanted biscuits and gravy. so Arick finally deferred to her.  I'm getting lazy in my old age, and those Aldi canned biscuits are GOOD, so that's what I cooked.  Sausage is high-priced, but for gravy I buy the cheaper Farmland brand; the high-priced brands don't have enough fat content to make gravy anyhow.  So they hung out with us for a couple hours, then walked back home

Next, a picture Alex took of Gabe.  He likes to lay on the furnace register when it's running, so it blows on his face and turns his beard into a huge mustache!  Cliff says he looks like Gabby Hayes.  

It has been a very lazy, but enjoyable, day.  About all I've done is cook when the kids were here and wash the dishes, but I did get some winter pictures.

Front of our house

The view from my bedroom window

The back of our house

After being in the house for six or seven hours, Blue went to the door asking to be let outside.  After playing in the snow for a few minutes, he sat on the porch bannister for quite awhile.  I guess he just wanted some fresh air.  While he was there, Mama Kitty joined him.  It was the first time I'd seen her all day, so I put some food out for her, which she was glad to get.


And now Cliff is watching football.  I'll watch it with him now that I've done my blog entry, but since it isn't Kansas City playing, I likely won't be paying attention very closely.

Stay warm and safe, everyone.  It looks like this snow is affecting a wide area.  Around here it isn't a serious problem, and will likely start thawing tomorrow.

6 comments:

  1. What a nice blog. You did well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been away for quite a while. In that time, I have lost a granddaughter, my Mother, my only sibling, my brother, a close first cousin, and my husband of 52 years. It is such a comfort to enjoy your life again. I have such good memories of the earlier days, especially the early morning rides with Blue. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Blue the horse died long ago, and I am not nearly as active now that I'm old. I still do my best to enjoy life, though. I know it is heart-breaking just to lose one relative, but that many deaths would almost make a person want to give up!

      Delete
  3. Ah snow just dresses everything up. We didn't get as much as expected but it is still really pretty. Ha ha, yes on Gabby Hayes. So funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your farm. These pictures are great! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love snow when it's somewhere else or "visits" for a day or two. It quickly wore out its welcome this year.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!