Thursday, October 28, 2021

Just checking in

I've decided we are going to go south at some point in the next several days.  If it rains, so be it.  If the sun doesn't shine, who cares.  I need a road trip!  I'll call Bed and Bones to make sure they have room for Gabe, which I'm sure they will; surely there aren't many people traveling this time of year.  The grandson will take care of feeding the cats.  

Notice I said "I've decided", not "we've decided".  That's because Cliff can take it or leave it as far as a trip anywhere is concerned, but I'm planning on us going for a couple of days, very soon.  I like not having to decide on the actual date, because I think it's more fun to just wake up and decide to go one morning.  

Every time I woke up last night I could hear it raining gently; I don't think it ever stopped.  I was curious to know how much rain we'd gotten, so I went out with the flashlight in  hand and saw there was an inch and a half in the gauge, and it's still raining.  My zucchini plants just won't quit; for the most part I just slice them, skin and all, and stir-fry them with some onions, carrots, and sweet peppers.  I fill up the skillet, cook it, and put what I don't eat immediately in the refrigerator for the evening "meal".  Cliff eats some of it, but I don't think it's anywhere near his favorite way to eat vegetables.  I just like eating something that has very few calories and is good for me.  I'm sort of wanting chili today, even though it hasn't been long since we had some. 

Since I'm not going on my daily walks barefoot now that it's getting colder, Cliff insisted on taking me to get some Muck boots for walking.  I have the tall Muck boots I used to wear for choring when I milked cows, but they are so heavy they wear me out before my walk is over.  I still wear them if there's snow on the ground, but otherwise I prefer the short ones; my old short ones fell apart a long time ago, what with wearing them to walk every day for years.  It is so much easier for me to walk barefoot, but let's face it... Missouri winters pretty much make that impossible. 

Cliff goes to his tractor club meeting tonight; it's the last one for the year, except for our annual Christmas potluck dinner.  He and the grandson are working on the Oliver 1650 project almost every evening after Arick gets home from work; I must remember to get out there and take some pictures while they're at it.  

I'm going to stop this drivel and go make some steel-cut oats in the Instant Pot for our breakfast.

I wish all my readers a good day.

6 comments:

  1. Hope you have a great change of scenery! Road trips are an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are mighty sharp boots, Donna. I'm going to check out the link you posted. We bought an instapot for our son-in-law for Christmas one year. It looked like a big contraption and not very pleasant to clean. I can't imagine dirtying one up just for oatmeal. Maybe there's something I'm missing? ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't find it hard to clean, but I really don't use it a lot. It's nice for cooking chuck roast. People like it for soups, but I'd just as soon make soup in a regular pan; I have all day to make it. Probably if I had it to do over, I wouldn't buy it. I have the old-style pressure cookers that I use in a pinch to cook potatoes in five or ten minutes if I'm in a hurry, or to cook dry beans faster. The old style cooks much faster than an instant pot type.

      Delete
    2. By the way, those boots really aren't "sharp". They're ugly! But they last a long time and will keep my feet warm in winter, and they aren't uncomfortable at all, except in the way that all shoes are uncomfortable to me because I hate wearing them.

      Delete
  3. Spontaneous trips are the best and I hope you have nice weather. We have been rainy for a couple of days with more to come tomorrow. Enjoy those new boots and don't get any blisters.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!