Friday, October 08, 2021

Cooking while blogging

I pulled up a two-pound turnip this morning, which made almost a pan-full of Thanksgiving Day Creamed Turnips which I'll have gone by tomorrow, I'm sure.  Cliff doesn't like turnips.  

Now I have some smothered okra cooking.  When I have tomatoes, I use some from the garden.  Now, though, I just open up a can or two of tomatoes.  Cliff ate the better part of the last double-batch I made, so I'm making more.  It's actually done, I just have to cook it down so it will stay in its place when we put it on our plates, instead of the liquid running all over.   

I will also be making some stir-fried zucchini and onions before we eat at noon (dinner), since my August planting of zucchini is producing like mad.  AND... we have four stuffed peppers left from yesterday.  Yes, it's too many things for one meal; but I don't cook in the evening, and when we're raiding the refrigerator we'll have some things to choose from.   The creamed turnips will be all mine! 

We are hoping to go to Arkansas later this month to see the fall foliage.  I've been plotting and planning where to go and what to do.  We will eat at the home of the Throwed Rolls, Lamberts.  A blogger friend had mentioned a place to eat in Springfield, Missouri that I thought we might try, but when I googled it I saw they are mainly a sandwich and hamburger place, and I'd rather eat burgers and sandwiches at home.  So we'll go to Lamberts.  We'll take Gabe to Bed and Bones; we will probably only be gone for a couple of nights and days.  I always think it would be fun to take the dog, then I think about going in to eat someplace and leaving him in the car.  He's very happy at Bed and Bones, so I don't worry about him there.  The oldest granddaughter used to watch him sometimes, but she has moved farther away now.

OK, I have a second load of clothes to hang on the line, then get to the zucchini.  I hope my readers are having as nice a day as I am. 

8 comments:

  1. You always have the best food! I've heard that the fall foliage isn't as good this year due to the weird weather. Ours didn't like the horrible heat we suffered through this summer. (not that we have that much anyway)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The creamed turnips look really good. I'd try them anyday. I've driven by Lamberts but have never stopped. I don't like to eat at places known for gimmicks and not the quality of their food. By the time I hit Springfield, I'm either at the tail end of my journey or just getting going so I've never stopped there for food. I'm guessing there are probably a lot of great places though. We usually stop in Lebanon heading south and Macon heading north as they seem to line up with out stomachs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, we find their food very good, including the throwed rolls.

      Delete
  3. I've eaten there too and the food there is very good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure Arkansas is going to show you much color. We have been so dry and hot that the few early tuning trees showing are mostly brown. But then, brown is a color:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice to have all that fresh food from your garden. Enjoy! Your trip sounds like a nice get away. Fall foliage is just beautiful!We have plenty of places to go leef peeping nearby here. I love the beauty of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! What a 'feed'. Everything looks yummy. So glad you are feeling better and able to do things you love to do. We think of you and Cliff, we pray everyday that God bless you with HIS strength and love. Take care friend. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a lot of healthy, yummy eating, Donna. You're going to have so much fun on your trip.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!