Thursday, October 14, 2021

Things are working out

Yesterday I got my memory foam mattress topper; I get them for all our mattresses.  This twin bed I got was a pretty cheap one.  With the topper on it, I am sleeping like a queen, it's so comfy.  

When I went to crawl into bed with Cliff yesterday morning, my side of the bed was still made!  Obviously he didn't do any tossing and turning.  When he woke up beside me, he said, "I don't think I got up even one time last night."

Bingo!  I figured I might have been the cause of our meetings in the night at the bathroom door, and apparently I was.  This morning I peeked in "his" bedroom after I got up and again, the bed was still made on my side, not a wrinkle in it.  That isn't why I peeked in, though; I was checking to make sure he was still alive.  You might think I'm joking, but when you get to a certain age and still have your spouse with you, it's something you just do; Cliff sometimes checks on me, too.

In my last entry I mentioned worrying a bit about Cliff not being able to rouse me if he woke up needing any kind of help in the night, since he's at one end of the trailer house (deaf as a post) and I'm at the other; he has a few health issues.  A long-time Internet friend from the old AOL Journal days, Carlene, suggested I get a baby monitor.  I haven't gotten one yet, but that will solve the problem perfectly, and I'll bet I could get a used one for very little money on Facebook Marketplace. 

As for Gabe, I decided I can't sleep well with him in bed with me.  Cliff reminded me that we had an old pet taxi out in the garage that's the perfect size for my dog, so he sleeps in that now, although if I wake up at 3:30 and go back to bed, I let him out to join me for the last hour or so of my time in bed.  His big kennel is still in Cliff's room; that's where I put him if we are going someplace for a few hours, and it's still the one he takes refuge in if it thunders, or if he hears something that sounds like a gun.

Here's another thing:  I moved the Bose into my room.  It seldom got any use in the living room, but now I listen to three or four CDs as I go to sleep.  I already had a TV there, but I don't like going to sleep to the sound of a television.  I mentioned to my husband that I needed a clock and another Alexa; he told me to just take the Echo Show from the kitchen in there and I'd have both in one package; he gets good ideas sometimes.  I still need a bedside table with a couple of drawers, but I found a cheap used one on Marketplace that's exactly what I need if the lady ever answers my message, and she lives within 15 miles of us.  So I'm pretty well set up.  Cliff's bedroom gets neater all the time because I keep moving my "stuff" out.

I got my hair cut yesterday and picked up the few groceries we needed.  I was excited to actually buy some chuck roast, which is something I had given up on ever buying again!  Price Chopper had it on sale for $3.99 a pound.  Still ridiculous, but I took the plunge and spent $19.00.  There are two small roasts in the package; they will be a real treat, one at a time.  When Cliff and I first got married, you could get chuck roast for 39 cents a pound.  

  Autumn seems to have arrived for good, and I'm fine with that; this is the time of year I used to be depressed, but thanks to a tiny pill I was prescribed this summer, I am NOT depressed.  Just think, I could have had much nicer winters in the past, had I known there was something to help me.  

But now... 

Life is good.

7 comments:

  1. That's good! I am happy you are so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been sleeping in the recliner ever since my first knee surgery due to pain issues at that time. It is so much more comfortable for me than a bed because I don't like to sleep flat or on my side. My husband and I used to wake each other up constantly. I snored, and that woke him, and he used to constantly kick his feet and legs around and make contact with my legs. Plus if he rolled over on his side and started breathing onto my face, that would wake me up. I found when I started sleeping in the recliner I no longer snore because I am not laying flat or even on pillows, my whole upper body is a bit elevated. I don't wake up feeling like the human question mark from laying curled up and sleeping on my shoulder, plus I sleep hours in a row without even moving, my husband wakes up a few times to go to the bathroom and that used to wake me up, too. We are both more rested now. I can still go climb into bed whenever I want too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When Larry got really sick, he hardly slept. He kept the light on. I rolled a towel and placed it by my closed door I am ashamed to say. I can’t sleep if I see a light. The two bedrooms are close and any small sound wakes me. I think I might the echo in my room, but tv would not be helpful and I believe it’s harmful and addictive. I’m glad you are both getting rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good night's sleep is priceless. So glad things are working out and that baby monitor sounds like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great that things are working out so well for you. (and Cliff!) Sometimes change can be positive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad your medication is working for you, Donna... and your sleeping arrangement too. Lordy, the thought of sleeping with hubby once again gives me shivers. BTW, him too!!! We sleep sooo much better alone... as he is free to snore without having to roll over and I am free to turn the light off and on, when I can't sleep. It's a win-win for both of us and we'll never go back to sleeping together again. ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you about mattress toppers. Our mattress was sagging badly so I filled in the dips with towels and put the topper over it. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!