Sunday, January 29, 2012

Back to Church

This is clip art, not the place we attended




This could get to be a habit.  We found the experience uplifting last week, so we went back to the same place, accompanied by Cliff's next-door sister.  I'm not looking for brownie points here, but I wanted my readers to know that by doing the series of entries on why I don't go to church much any more, I woke up to the fact that we had no good reason to NOT go.  That's just how it worked for me.  This is probably the last mention I'll make of church attendance, unless it's in passing.  
There were fifty-two present today, so it isn't a big place.  It seems to be an independent denomination; the preacher used to be Methodist.   It appears most of the members have come from the other churches in town.
Nobody invited me to this church.  I wanted to try it because it's nearby and I know some of the people there, so we weren't walking into a crowd of strangers.  
I have one neighbor down the road who sometimes invites me to another church for special events and such, but otherwise I've had no invitations to any local places of worship.  Would it have made a difference if I'd been invited someplace?  I don't think so, but I really don't know.  Since I've been a church-goer for a lot of my life, I am not uncomfortable walking into any church for the first time, as long as everybody isn't too fancy-looking.  
I had actually planned to visit the other local churches some more before we settled in, but I like this one really well.  Cliff does too (because it doesn't last long, he says), and I think his sister enjoyed it.  
Besides, I was asked if I'd play my guitar and sing sometime; this is the first time anybody's wanted to hear me sing in fifteen years.  Here's how the conversation went:  
"Don't you sing and play guitar?"  
"At home." 
"But I thought you sang and played sometimes for people."
"I used to."  
And then two neighbors from across the road turned around and joined in the arm-twisting.  
Maybe I'd better get to work on the finger-callouses.  

5 comments:

  1. Glad that you enjoyed going to church. It can be a very uplifting experience. If it gets to where I can sit good again and not squirm like I am sitting in ants then hopefully we can start going again. I miss going. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I'VE GOT TO GO BACK AND READ SOME MORE POSTS DONNA. I KNMEW YOU PLAYED THE GUITAR BUT HAD FORGOTTEN ALL ABOUT IT. DO YOU MISS YOUR CABIN???

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had twelve at church today but don't think it won't survive. It is historical and has survived. They recently built a large room and with donations and not the begging kind, it is all paid for. Someone even donated old sand rock that almost matches the orginal part of the building.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is nice you have found comfort in church again. I hope this place will be the perfect fit for you and Cliff. How excting that they want you to play your guitar and sing. God works in mysterious ways, don't you know? Start practicing. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does sound like you may have found your nook there. Time will tell but when you find yourself participating in what's going on church becomes much more than just sitting in the pew watching.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!