Tuesday, August 04, 2009

My life is ruled by fruits, vegetables, and cows

I do believe I have psychoanalyzed myself enough to figure out what's going on here.

The country is in a mess, and I see little hope for my children and grandchildren. There's nothing I can do about that, since I haven't been given a real choice in this nation's elections.

But there are still things that are as solid as a rock.

If you plant seeds, they will grow. Depending, of course, on the weather. But at least you know what you're dealing with. If it rains, things grow... even the weeds.

If you buy a milk cow and she has a calf, she will give milk. If you milk her, you can drink the milk. You can save the cream that rises to the top and churn it and you will have butter (I did that tonight, by the way).

These are things my grandparents and great-grandparents knew. And those before them.

My daughter calls it her "bubble". Well, this year I've found my personal way of staying in a bubble. I've bought a Jersey cow; I've planted a garden and made pickles and canned tomatoes.

Finally, by going back to the basics, I've found something in this old world that makes sense.



Oh yes, and there's always Hebrews 13:8: "Jesus Christ, the same yesterday and today and forever." I once wrote a song about that Bible verse, and it still almost makes me cry when I sing it.

But sometimes a person needs something she can actually put her hands on.

I think I may have to get my guitar out and write another song or two. If for no other reason than that it's Pete Seeger's birthday.

On another note, my evening was made brighter by seeing one of my favorite Kansas City bloggers on Fox 4 news. Yeah, that reprobate known as Midtown Miscreant.

4 comments:

  1. some people need to keep busy,others (me) like to be lazy. I haven't been doing much at all.Going to Chicago on Saturday for more laziness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If we all could find such a bubble we'd all be a lot happier I think.
    Going back to basics is not a bad thing at all. My bubble is camping every weekend. Nature is a blessing any way you want to look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindie9:04 AM

    My bubble worked last year. I went back to the lake of my youth and relived for awhile the peace and joy of the place. The last few years I have been growing a few things, the herbs are the easiest. I love having them at hand rather than paying $3. for them at the store!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished a book series about a fantastical catastrophic event that caused all technology in the world to fail. For some reason I thought of you and the fact that of anyone I knew, you would be fine. And me and mine would be screwed because I know nada about farming. LOL

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!