Monday, August 10, 2009

What do you do with a half-pound of ground beef?

Cliff and I had a cheeseburger Saturday evening when we arrived home from our little trip to Iowa/Illinois. We still have plenty of ground beef from butchering the steer named Meatloaf. Meat lasts a long time around here, because Cliff and I try to eat lots of fruits and vegetables and eat smaller portions of meat. Even more so, now that we have the garden, not to mention the neighbor who gives us plenty of dressed catfish almost weekly.

After making our cheeseburgers, there was a half-pound or so of raw ground beef remaining. We could have had another burger, but we always stop at one these days (albeit a BIG one).


This morning while I pressure-canned some green beans, I browned the ground beef with a diced onion (from the garden) and some celery. Then I added some diced carrots that were about to die an untimely death in the crisper (otherwise known as the "rotter" around here). From the garden I added potatoes, green beans, okra, cabbage, and tomatoes. I tossed in a handful of barley, and dinner is now simmering on the stove.


From such a small amount of hamburger, we now have almost a gallon of soup.

Yes, it's awfully hot and humid outside to be having soup, but the air-conditioning is working nicely here in the house. I feel so very frugal, I could almost squeak.

9 comments:

  1. Hamburger soup is a big favorite around here! I'll send my kids over to your house! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonight I'm making spagetti sauce. I'm not sure of the amount of beef I have in that package but the half pound would do for me. Your soup looks wonderful. I bet it smells good cooking too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, girl! you sound like us! We can stretch a half pound of ground till there's no moo left, ha :) Soup's always a winner, as are stuffing a few green peppers (with all the stuffed added to the ground beef, a half pound'll do), shepherd's pie, adding it to spaghetti sauce, topping added to veggies for homemade pizza, a small meatloaf, meatballs to go with pasta or whatever, add to molasses baked beans or a small batch of bean chili, or making some slumgullion...mmm! :)

    Robbyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look good enough to eat LOL. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like the others have said - hamburger soup is the BEST! Doesn't matter the weather. Tonight we had pancakes for dinner -- which is also quite good on a cold winter evening, but as this was my first day in school for the year, how good they were! Now, of course, I'm ready for bed -- and it's only 8 p.m. Wish I had a container of your soup of lunch tomorrow, though. MGW

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so good I can almost smell it...Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lindie9:58 PM

    We used to call that refrigerator soup.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it Donna!.. I did this a lot.. I called it simply "chop meat soup" lol..used whatever veggies were available and had the chop meat and tomatoe base!
    (I thought I was the only insane person making soup in mid-summer heat!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't that a WONDERFUL feeling? I love "frugal" even when there is no need....HOWEVER..there is a need around here now!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!