Sunday, November 05, 2023

I've had a couple of nice days

Well, I skipped going to my two churches today because Cliff so enjoys having me with him watching the Chiefs.  They were playing in Germany starting at 12:30 P.M. their time (8:30 our time), and he'd have been watching alone if I'd gone; then he would have driven to town to pick me up, and would have missed a very important part of a game that was full of ups and downs in the second half.  Whew.  I'm too old for that much excitement, but GO CHIEFS!

I got out of bed at 5 A.M. to find that my husband had already turned back the clocks back.  The time change didn't bother me at all.  I actually embrace our regular hours as opposed to daylight savings, because I can see the sun rise while I'm the only one awake.  There's a bedroom on the east end of our trailer house, and when I notice it's getting light outside, I walk down the hall and look out the window to see the sun coming up.  The rising sun represents hope to me, telling me I have one more day.  When I'm looking out at the sun, I often think about the song Whispering Hope.  Hope does whisper to us, I believe, in a still, small voice.  Here's what I saw out the window this morning:

I went out yesterday and got my garden ready for winter.  The tomato cages are gone and the trash from the tomato plants was hauled away behind Cliff's tractor; I cut down the tall, dried-up okra plants.  I also hoed a few weeds here and there.  It was good to be out taking care of my garden even though I won't be planting anything until at least March.  I thanked God for the hope of another spring.  

I've been sharing pictures of my garden all year, so I decided to show you what my garden looks like when it's finished for the year.


  The strawberry plants are still as green as ever.  That's why  I haven't put straw on them yet.


I love living so near the garden.  The straw you see near the fence is protecting three blueberry plants from the cold that will soon be coming.  There are some cabbage plants on the left that didn't get big enough to harvest before the hard freeze we had.  But I'm still eating turnips!

Peace.

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:46 PM

    This is Diane @Diane's Place. I didn't feel like jumping through their hoops to sign in to my Google account to comment. My Mama taught me Whispering Hope when I was probably 6 years old and it's one of my very favorite hymns. I used to sing either high soprano or alto harmony on that song with her and my sisters at church. It brings back such sweet memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved to sing alto to it. It's one of my favorites too.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous5:05 PM

    David 20 here. Whispering Hope is a favorite of mine as well. Of course I love the Bass part!

    I'm always impressed by your garden! Fortunately Arlene's daycare parents keep us well supplied with fresh vegetables. So I can farm instead of work a garden. I always enjoy your stories. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your Chiefs won!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but they were touch and go for awhile.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed the morning sun, but did NOT like the early darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think that I've ever known anyone who loves turnips like you do! We forgot our clocks. I was a bit surprised to hear Tim pulling back in the driveway just a few minutes later, but I figured out why before he got in the door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part of my love of turnips is that it reminds me of my mother. She loved turnips. When a person gets old, I think they are glad for any connection to their faraway childhood. At least I am.

      Delete
  6. I'm always so impressed with all you do. You are a fabulous, loving wife, Donna. I can't get over what a huge garden you have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't heard Whispering Hope in a long time. I used to play it on the piano. This hymn was supposedly written by Alice Hawthorne - - but that was a pseudonym. The real writer was a man, Septimus Winner (1827 - 1905).

    The sunrise is indeed a symbol of hope. Every morning when I see it - like you - I'm thankful for a new day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine Hope is what has kept you sane through everything you've been going through.

      Delete
  8. The Chiefs beat the Dolphins, yay! My team tanked yesterday; it was an ugly game. About halfway through John and I started playing word games on our phones. :) I like turnips too although I've never grown any. I have found that what one grows, one finds a use for!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We were in the San Diego airport waiting to fly home when a huge bunch of people at a nearby bar were cheering for the Chiefs!! That fumble play really made them cheer!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gardens look so sad as it gets cold. I was gathering seed today, it was so melancholy.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!