Friday, November 03, 2023

I miss summer already

We've had a hard freeze this week, but now we're having highs in the 60's.  I intend to get the garden cleanup started this afternoon.  I need to get the dead plants out of there.  I think it's too soon to put straw on the strawberries.  I doubt the soil temps are consistently below 40 yet.

Here's what I found with Goggle:

Apply straw mulch over the plants in the late fall, once the plants are dormant and soil temperatures are consistently below 40°F.Spring care of June-bearing cultivars begins with mulch removal in mid-April to early May.Remove straw in the spring when the soil temperature reaches 40°F and the first new leaves begin growing.

Wednesday Cliff and I got the current Covid shot.  The next day we both felt lousy.  Not sick, but I had a runny  nose and a throat tickle that made me cough, and Cliff just didn't feel good; in fact, he called and rescheduled his yearly appointment with his cardiologist.  By evening we were back to normal.  I've heard people saying that some shots have made them feel bad, but I've only ever had achey arms from the shot until this one.  We got our first shingles vaccine a month ago, and Cliff said he felt punk for a couple of days then, too.  We agreed that from now on we won't get any more vaccine shots on the day before a doctor's appointment, or any other scheduled plans.

I don't have much of anything interesting to say, so I'm going back to the book I'm reading, Black Boy... a book published in 1945.  I don't know how it happened, but lately every book I read is about the suffering of the African Americans.  Before this one I read Warmth of Other Suns. Before that one was Dreamland burning.  I really didn't plan it this way; some of the books had been on hold for quite awhile.  I'm learning to understand how bad they had it.  

Here's a funny  thing.  Yesterday I finally got a very popular book that's been on hold for a long time, not really knowing what it was about.  I looked it up after it showed up on my Libby  app, and here's how it was described: "Salvage the Bones is a simple, yet powerful story about a poor black family living in Bois Sauvage, Mississippi."

I guess Somebody Up There must be wanting me to understand the suffering these people went through, but it's really hard to read about people who treated their fellow human beings far worse than they would treat a dog.  

5 comments:

  1. We got on a theme of WWII books in Book Club a few years ago and decided that we'll now give them (mostly) a pass. How many times can you agonize over the hatefulness of the Nazis and their brutality toward the Jews and others? It was very frosty and cold but now it's the Pineapple Express here with warm temps and lots of rain. I guess they now call it the Atmospheric River. I can't keep up with the terminology! I felt fine over the latest Covid shot but the RSV was pretty miserable, possibly because I got it with my flu shot. I won't get two together again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve been having a pity party. Feeling worthless. I need to snap out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. In fact, I called my doctor's nurse line and told her it's time for me to get on that pill that I took before. My winter depression is back.Escatalopram helped me before, and I hope it does again.

      Delete
  3. It's hot and dry here in Hawaii. And there's even a wildfire going on for 3 days now on our island which is concerning although it's far away from homes for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, now! I pray no wildfire ever causes the kind of destruction as the last one!

      Delete

I love comments!