Thursday, November 16, 2023

My husband is clueless about cooking (and a little google rant)

This is the strangest thing:  Every few days I am signed out of my blog.  If I click on the words "sign in", it takes me to where I can make a blog entry, but when I finish the entry and actually go to my blog, I am not signed in.  I finally realized I can only sign in in my comment section... or even someone else's comment section.  I don't even have to make a comment, I just have to hit that dropdown arrow that is telling me I'm anonymous and look at the other two options... google or name/url.  I select google, sign in, and when I go to the top of my blog I am signed in there too.  Isn't that crazy?

Not much going on here.  Tuesday I was trying to decide what to make for dinner and told Cliff I decided on spaghetti.  This summer when I had an overload of tomatoes I cooked and froze a lot of my homemade spaghetti sauce in quart freezer baggies, so my sauce is made when I need it; I just add some Italian sausage.  I had it nicely heated up when I went to get the spaghetti and found out I didn't even have enough spaghetti for one person to eat.  Since we were going to go shopping the next day I told Cliff I'd put the sauce in the refrigerator, add spaghetti to the list, and have something else.  But spaghetti is Cliff's favorite food, and that's what he wanted.  He said, "Why don't you throw that little bit of spaghetti in a pan with some macaroni?  Do you have macaroni?"  I told him yes, I had a lot of it, but that wouldn't work... (picture that in your head if you will).

"Aren't they the same thing, only a different shape?" he said.

Well, kind of; they're both pasta.  But macaroni is not going to be anything like spaghetti, even with the same sauce.

He just couldn't understand it, so finally I agreed to use macaroni, although I wasn't about to put that tiny bit of spaghetti in with it, because why bother?  If I'm going to ruin a meal, I want to do it right.

When it was done we sprinkled parmesan cheese on top of our meal and dug in.  Of course it was edible... but he had to admit it was NOT like spaghetti.  I didn't use all the sauce on the macaroni because I knew we wouldn't eat a lot, so there might be enough for my husband to have some real spaghetti in a day or two.  Or I'll just put the leftover sauce in the freezer and add it to the sauce I get out of the freezer next time.

Cliff has never understood anything about cooking.  

14 comments:

  1. My girls love pasta and so I can a lot of "spaghetti" sauce every summer with our tomatoes. They will then boil a pasta of their choice, dump in the sauce and have a quick meal. They rarely put the sauce with spaghetti. Their favorite is rotini but occasionally they do macaroni too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I warned him it wouldn't taste the same. Once he ate some, he agreed. He just doesn't understand why it would taste different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pasta of all types with sauce so I would be fine with that meal. I also love it with linguine and rotini shapes. But you're right, it's not actually spaghetti without that particular noodle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you ever cook tomatoes and macaroni together? Mom did and it was so good. I’ve tried several times and it’s nasty. Momma could make good food with little. I make bad food with a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, we have had a lot of macaroni and tomatoes this year! We love it. I put some sugar in the tomatoes so they are sweet. In fact, I put a little sugar in anything that uses a lot of tomatoes: chili, spaghetti sauce... I might only put a couple teaspoons of sugar, but it always makes things better.

      Delete
  5. It's funny how all pasta is made from the same ingredients, but I agree that spaghetti sauce should not be served with macaroni. (However, I'm not an absolute purist so in my world any long pasta would be OK).

    ReplyDelete
  6. HeWho likes spaghetti and I like to have back-up spaghetti on hand. I could eat my sauce with any kind of pasta. The pasta is secondary to a really good sauce for me! Yours must be good, you had me at Italian sausage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everybody seems to like my sauce! Very few people I know actually make their own; they use Prego. I don't have a problem with that, but I do like making my own.

      Delete
  7. You're absolutely right. Spaghetti sauce doesn't taste as good when it's on macaroni (I've used macaroni many times when I was out of spaghetti).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way Jon, I saw the last post that you deleted. I am so sorry, and hope they will come to some compromise that will work for you.

      Delete
  8. I use my spaghetti sauce on all sorts of pasta. Generally speaking the pasta gets the sauce, cheese and sausage and peppers and onions all stirred together and baked. It is different but we like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have had a very similar discussion with my husband over the pasta we use in "macaroni and cheese". I wanted to use small shells instead of elbow macaroni and he wasn't sure that would work.... but it turned out okay, I guess because they are similar enough in shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer the shells for macaroni and cheese, but I seldom think to buy them.

      Delete
  10. Luckily, my husband's family owned a little family restaurant/sweet shop so Art really knows how to cook, thank goodness. He cooks 3/4 of the time.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!