Sunday, November 19, 2023

Sunday Stealing

1, People I'd like to thank and why:  All my relatives near and far who have put up with my very weird personality their whole lives and loved me anyway.

2. Something I rebelled against as a kid   My parents, especially my mother, who wanted me to be sure and marry someone who was a member of the "right" church, and sooner rather than later.  I think she felt there was something wrong with me because I wasn't dating as soon as everyone else.  Believe me, I liked a lot of boys, but they didn't know I liked them because I didn't know how to flirt, and I was afraid to talk to them.  As a consequence, I never dated until I was twenty years old. 

3. What I need to accomplish before the end of the year   The same things I've accomplished this year:  all bills paid, dog and cat fed, meals every day and dishes washed, laundry done.  Yes, these are indeed accomplishments!  And I had a nice vegetable garden, too.

4. Guilty pleasures right now   Lindor chocolate candy; it's very expensive, and I eat five of them a day.  I compensate by not eating anything after our noon meal (the candy is my dessert for that meal).  Also Twinings Earl Grey Black Tea.   

5. Local landmarks:  Ten miles away at Lexington, Missouri, we have The Anderson House,  the Battle of Lexington State Historic Site, the 1847 courthouse.

6. Cause or purpose I deeply believe in   I believe in God, and that He knows who I am.  I believe in Jesus and that He loves all of us.  

7. Things I never learned to do  Drive a car.  I took the course in high school but my teacher made fun of me.  That ended my desire to learn.

8. Seasonal traditions I’m always excited for  Activities in my garden

9. Something I’d like to be mentored on  Too late.  If someone mentored about me in some way, I'd forget about it by the next day.

10. Exotic animals I wish I could keep as pets   Wild animals don't make good pets.

11. Something normal to me, that might be odd to others  Going barefoot outside any time the weather is above 45 or so.  Not having a closet full of shoes like most women.  I really don't care about nice clothes or fancy houses and am not impressed by them.  In fact, I seldom notice them.

12. The last book I quit reading and why  The Warmth of Other Suns.  It is a great non fiction book about the fifty years of African-Americans leaving the south and going north to New York and Chicago, and west to California.  I'm sure I read more that 75 percent of it, but it began to be repetitive, so I opted out.  The book had 640 pages, and I was ready to quit.

13. Right now, I appreciate...  everything I can still do.

14. When “the holiday season” starts for me   Thanksgiving

15. Holiday foods and treats I love the most   Pumpkin pie

16. “Terrible” movies that I actually like  "Terrible" is in the eye of the beholder

17. Cooking all day for holiday dinner vs. ordering carry-out  I've never done carry-out, but I probably wouldn't like it  

18. If I were trapped in a holiday movie, I’d pick...   none

19. Which holiday tradition I wish lasted all year long  I'll pass on this one.  

20. Favorite books, music, tv, movies and music this month  I'm not good at having favorites of these things.  My favorite movie is Little Big Man.  My favorite music changes depending on the day, nothing on TV deserves to be a favorite, and I read too many books to really have a favorite, but right now I'm thinking about Ron Howard's autobiography:  The Boys:  A Memoir of Hollywood and Family.

12 comments:

  1. If it is a quick errand, I will run out in my bare feet. A guest once remarked on the fact that there were footprints in the snow. Yep, they were mine. I needed something from the car.

    Have you and Cliff seen the movie 'Old Henry'? We watched it last night. It was great. Small budget, no big names, but quite riveting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard for me to pick favorites! I also love Lindt/Lindor chocolates; do you eat the truffles? I enjoy the milk chocolate ones best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get the mix of five different flavors of chocolate

      Delete
  3. I like Lindor chocolate, too, Hershey's no longer tastes as good as it once did. I have always hated to have my feet bare. Apparently it's an inherited thing, as the same goes for my father and brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband has tender feet. The slightest pebble or hunk of dirt will make him yell.

      Delete
  4. You'd think that your mom would be happy that her daughter was being "good." Being a parent, I know they're irrational creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use to go barefooted daily when I was younger. Up until my late 30's. My sister-in-law and I would even walk to town barefoot. Town being like 3 or 4 blocks from home. I don't know why I stopped, but now I can't even remember the last time I stepped outside barefooted. I'm sure I'm a tenderfoot now, when back in the day my feet were tough as leather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't go in the garden barefoot anymore because my feet get so black on the bottom I can't get them clean. I love the feeling of walking in plowed ground, but I've given it up.

      Delete
  6. I confess I like Lindor chocolates too, but almost any chocolate will do. You and I are kindred spirits in that I don't like to drive either. I didn't learn until I had to take my kids to school. And now, it just scares me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what people don't understand about me never getting my license. Just the thought of driving scared me to death.

      Delete
  7. LIndor chocolate is not a guilty pleasure. It is a delight. I will almost certainly have some at Christmas.

    I never knew how to flirt or even how to recognise it when somebody was flirting with me. It has led to some embarrassing moments.

    :o)

    Cheers

    PM

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!