Saturday, November 25, 2023

Recipes from the Kansas City Star

For many years we subscribed to the Kansas City Star and Times; yes, two papers each day.  The Times was discontinued in 1990.  After all, we had been getting most of the important news events on television by then.  We didn't realize it, but all newspapers were going to start going the way of the dinosaurs.  I would read many portions of the Star religiously:  Ann Landers, Abigail Van Buren, Charles Gusewelle's column twice weekly, and the once-a-week Thursday recipe page.  I still have some of those recipes that I clipped out of the paper and glued onto recipe cards.  

My grandson's favorite dessert is Oreo Delight; I probably had that recipe for at least ten years before I ever tried it, but one Easter I finally made it.  My oldest grandson, Arick, was four years old at the time.   We had eaten dinner that day, but some of the guests were eating desserts when I went outside to the barn for some reason (I had cows and calves to tend back then).  I came back and walked in the door, and my smiling grandson, sitting on the floor with a dish in one hand and a spoon in the other, looked at me wide-eyed and said, "Gramma, I LIKE this berzert!" (His way of saying dessert.)

.  I've been making it ever since, although it's far from my favorite... gobs of Cool Whip, Oreo cookie crumbs, instant chocolate pudding... that isn't cooking!  There's also some cream cheese, and enough butter to hold the oreo crumbs together on the bottom of the pan.  But  I promise you that wherever I take it, it is the first dessert to disappear.  

As I was looking through my old yellowed recipe cards this week, I saw a recipe from the Star that I remembered making once, and only once.  Kathy, my then daughter-in-law, was staying at our house with her children when our son was in the Army.  The recipe was for Waldorf Salad, and the reason I saved it was that it didn't have mayonnaise in it.  

You see, when I was a child in Iowa and we had dinners at church, someone would always bring Waldorf salad.  I made the mistake of thinking it was a fruit-and-whipped-cream dessert and would put some on my plate.  Then I'd taste the mayonnaise and wished I could spit it out.  Back then I  had no love for mayo or Miracle Whip or mustard or ketchup; besides, who mixes mayo in with whipped cream?  So when I saw this recipe in the paper years ago, I couldn't wait to try it.  I made it one time only for some holiday dinner, and it was exactly what I thought... DELICIOUS!  The daughter-in-law liked it so much, she begged me to make it several times while she was with us, but I never did... that is, until Wednesday of this week.  I should tell you that I do like mayo and Miracle Whip in their proper places now, but I still don't want it mixed up  with whipped cream! 

I knew when I made the fruit salad that nobody but Kathy and I would probably eat any of it, with all the  other stuff around; but I wanted to find out if she even remembered it.  Yes, my former daughter-in-law spends holiday meals with us, she and Andy.  After all, her two children are always with us at holidays.  As it happens, though, she was under the weather, so she and Andy didn't come.  But the grandson tried it later, and said, "Who made this?  It's really good!"

So another good berzert is discovered.  And being in his thirties now, Arick knows how to pronounce the word dessert. 

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:31 AM

    I used to do a lot more cooking ...when I had someone to cook for! This is Margie's Musings...not anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:46 AM

    I remember the Oreo Berzert. It WAS good. I recently came upon a recipe for cranberry pie. Since I love cranberries I am going to attempt it. Stay tuned. Love your blog. JM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cranberries too. I have a cranberry salad that is totally dessert, lots of Cool Whip in it.

      Delete
  3. I miss newspapers. The Arkansas Gazette got really expensive and they wanted to mail it. Old news by the time it came. The local paper had nothing in it. Also, by mail, but ame day. Half the time I didn’t get it. They blamed the PO and the PO blamed the paper. So now I have none! I would always sit one the floor and read the paper. Larry read ALL the auto ads. We both loved the paper. I did the crossword and cryptogram. He did the word search. Just a memory now. When I read the news on line, I want to read it NO videos. I’m weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate that too! I do check the news on CNN each morning just to see if somebody dropped a bomb on us or something, but I hate it when I click on a link for a bit of news and it's a video! There's one blogger I have followed for a long time, but now she's doing videos about her daily life. It's usually 30 minutes of talk. She wonders why she doesn't get more followers on Youtube, but it's because it's boring. She could type the same words on her blog and I could read it in 5 minutes.

      Delete
  4. The KC Star still publishes recipes... as a matter of fact I saved the last section that was filled with recipes!! The Star comes M - F and then Sunday! I look out my bedroom window and see if the paper has been tossed on my driveway... then it's empty the dishwasher and relax with the paper and a cup of coffee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out here in the country, they don't even bother to throw the papers half the time. I wouldn't pay the price for it anyway, since it's only about 10% as big as it used to be.

      Delete
    2. You're right... it is small but there are things I would miss and I really don't want paper newspapers to disappear. Digital ones just don't fill my likes/dislikes

      Delete
  5. A fruit salad was always a side dish at my grandmother's Thanksgiving, and then later, at my mother's. I used to make it for our own every year. But now we have a big family celebration at church. My assigned dish is one of the turkeys, cranberry sauce, greenbean casserole and gravy. I never noticed until you mentioned it that we have not had a fruit salad in years. It had apples, bananas, grapes, and whipped cream. I had forgotten this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like the one I made.

      Delete
  6. I really miss my newspaper although it's priced itself out of my budget and has hardly any news in it these days. I don't know that I've ever had Waldorf salad. The Oreo dessert sounds like an easy version of a cheesecake. I'm not a huge lover of Cool Whip so I'm not sure if I would like it but I would most certainly try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My grandmother used to make an oreo dessert that I loved as a child. I've never had anything similar to it in all these years and now wonder if it wasn't Oreo Delight.

    I hated those mayo/fruit salads too as a kid. I am so scarred from eating those that I avoid eating any fruit salad to this day. Fortunately they aren't very common these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is another similar dessert called dirt cake (you can google it), except it uses another flavor of pudding. It is often presented in a brand new plant pot with gummy worms coming out the top.

      Delete
  8. We don't even have a major newspaper here in our little town anymore. We are blessed with 2 ( once weekly) hometown newspapers though. I hate that you made the Waldorf Salad and Kathy couldn't be there to eat some! If you ever get a chance, please let us have your recipe for it. Happy belated Thanksgiving! 🦃

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!