Tuesday, November 07, 2023

The things you learn to laugh at when you get old

There are a lot of words I can't summon up when I need them these days.  I have told my family it's fine to help me figure out what I'm trying to say.  In fact, I encourage it.  I make jokes about it often.  I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it's dementia.  One time maybe three or four years ago I mentioned online that I probably had dementia and several people said I should get checked.  

I am not going to do that until I start making things rough on my husband, and then he can figure out what he wants to do with me.  Meanwhile, I have fun with  it.  Please don't comment telling me I really should get tested.

I am now so old that I have to go to the doctor every six months!  My kidneys are apparently getting tired, so the doctor has me come in for blood tests, so I went yesterday.  When I got up this morning at 4 A.M. and finally checked my email, my test results were there.  I saw there were three things that were "off":  Creatinine, serum high (but not much); Glomerular filtration low (but very little); and calcium, serum, which is only 1 point away from being high.  Doctor Google told me I have, or maybe almost have, a kidney disease.  Barely.

A nurse called at 8:30 to tell me she had my tests back; "I know," I said. "I googled them."

She had trouble talking after that because she couldn't stop laughing. She was still giggling when she hung up. By the way, she said this test turned out a little better than the one six months ago.

I might make it to 80 years old yet.

11 comments:

  1. Some things I’d just as soon not know. Health insurance kept bugging me to have mammogram.
    I finally did and like always before they needn’t to check a spot. I went back and did another test. Finally I said—look I’m not doing any treatment if I have a spot. I will just keep on keeping on. Then the spot was fine, but it seemed senseless to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:08 AM

    I sure hope you make it to 80 - I like your writings and your pictures. Glad your tests were improved from last time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll only be 8 1/2 months till I'm 80, So there's a good chance

      Delete
  3. With certain things, what would we do about them anyway? So, what's the point of tests? Kidney numbers can hold steady for a long time; my mom's have and she's 91. Fingers crossed that it continues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I figured it wasn't a big deal at this time. Something has wear out first... in my case, that's my knees. And the numbers really are close to normal anyway.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous1:20 PM

    Oh good grief, Donna. You don't have dementia. I am many years older than you and I have stage 3 kidney disease. I forget what I am saying in the middle of a conversation and uhm...what was I saying....oh yeah, if I made it to 80, so will you. Don't get tested. Enjoy the ride. Love you 😍.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I feel about it. Honestly, I am not worrying about the kidney thing at all. I mainly wanted to tell about the nurse getting tickled about me saying I already googled it.

      Delete
  5. Sigh... I'm supposed to get memory tested too, but I'm sure the military hospital I go to will forget about it. LOL. I'm not going to remind them. I am very worried these days too. Name and word recall is absolutely the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My money's on you, sister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we could only get a good president that doesn't embarrass us I'd like to at least live until I'm 90. But if everything keeps going to hell in a handbasket, beam me up, Scotty.

      Delete
  7. Donna, by the way you write and are able to beautifully express yourself, you absolutely don't have dementia. Don't worry about it. Keep busy (as you always do).
    I express myself very well with my writing, but I'm extremely awkward when speaking to people. I'm just not socially adept.
    Anyway, you're doing fine now - - and you will when you're 80.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!