Saturday, November 04, 2023

Catch Me If You Can

Catch Me If You Can is a 2002 movie Cliff and I watched on Netflix last night and thoroughly enjoyed.  It was funny, almost impossible to believe, and yet it was for the most part a true story based on a book written by the man portrayed by the  main character.  As we watched it, I faintly recalled reading about those happenings in the newspaper, but that would have been in the 1970's.  The man is Frank W. Abagnale, who began his life of crime at the age of 17 years old.  

"Frank W. Abagnale, alias Frank Williams, Robert Conrad, Frank Adams, and Robert Monjo, was one of the most daring con men, forgers, imposters, and escape artists in history. In his brief but notorious criminal career, Abagnale donned a pilot's uniform and copiloted a Pan Am jet, masqueraded as the supervising resident of a hospital, practiced law without a license, passed himself off as a college sociology professor, and cashed over $2.5 million in forged checks, all before he was twenty-one."

I did a lot of googling when the movie was over and found out he's alive and well.  I checked to find out the library has the book the movie is based on, and I can't wait to read it, because the book is always better than the movie.

Way back then, there was a show called To Tell the Truth; there's a clip of that show that played in a scene near the beginning of the movie, so this morning I watched the whole thing on Youtube.  I'm placing it here because I know Cliff will want to watch it when he wakes up, so  he  can see the real person instead of Leonardo DiCaprio. 


I strongly recommend it.  It's hard for me to find a movie I really like, but this one fills the bill.  

And that's all I'll say about that.  Most likely,  all of you have seen it by now.

One more thing:  Cliff and I just watched a Johnny Carson show that had Frank as a guest.  It's very  interesting too.  Here's the LINK.

7 comments:

  1. Sister Fleta and I watched this when we went on our Tennessee trip. I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the video too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd heard of that guy but didn't know any of the details!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:14 PM

    Kay of Musings: I saw the movie, but didn’t realize that there was an actual person. I need to google him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:53 PM

    Oh, I have heard of the movie, but had no clue what it was about. I'll have to read the book and see the movie now. Sounds interesting. Rebecca H here...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was SO interesting! I haven't seen the movie or read the book, but now I'm a little obsessed with the entire story. Mostly because I learned, by reading the very long Wikipedia entry on Frank, about another book -- The Greatest Hoax on Earth: Catching Truth, While We Can by Alan C. Logan. This 2020 book, I think, claims that all the stories Frank told in his *semi-autobiography* weren't true. So now I don't think I fully understand what was going on. But thanks so much for giving me this to fret about instead of all the other things I fret about on a daily basis. (And the What's My Line video was fun! Such innocent times.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He says the movie was about 80% true. He still helps the FBI when they need him, and doesn't charge them. Googling him could keep a person on the computer for days, there's so much on the Internet about him.

      Delete

I love comments!